• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Steering wedge

Started by Tinkeys, September 12, 2011, 11:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinkeys

Hi all !!
Now that i have new rear springs in my 30U , the rear end is up level and has a smoother ride  because its up off rear bump stops
New problem has emerged , steering is now way to light and I am thinking its because king pins are to forward.
When turning steering wheel does not want return on its own, I was told it could be it requires steering wedge between front spring and I beam axle. Any thoughts ?

Doug

That's right. The more you tilt the king pins  back the straighter it will want to go but harder to steer.

Tinkeys

Thanks Doug !
It does conform to what I thought ,yesterday I put more angle from 1.5 deg. To 3 deg's only made a also slight difference .

Tinkeys

I took 30U for a 25klm drive to visit my brother to show off the car and to tell him about steering problem.
After he looked at front end for a short while he noticed that there were scrape marks on rear side of I beam(front axle) and no scrape or rub marks on front side , so he has come to conclusion that maybe during previous work on replacing king pins the I beam may have been turned back to front.
With out measuring front and back or I beam looks identical except for angle of king pins.
My king pins look as they are a very slight tilt forward at the top ,so at this stage I am not certain if this is correct .
I thought they would lean to rear would anyone no for certain ?
Thanks Tony .

chetbrz

I will check my car late tonight.  If no body else responds I will post a picture for tomorrow.  I have a 29 but it should be the same frontend.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Tinkeys

Today I confirmed my brothers theory !
I removed wedges from front I beam which in turn made king pins move to rear at top of king pins
Now when turning car a litle effort is required and also it slightly returns to centre but not quite , so this prooves I am on right track to fix this problem!
Looks as if previos owner or mechanic has installed I beam back to front which also means king pins and stub axles have to be removed and just I beam turned.
My next attempt will be to install wedges to rear to push king pins further back just until I tear down car for full restoration.
I also confirmed on inernet for king pin inclination and top of pins to rear !!

Tinkeys

I drove 30U to club meeting today 80klms return trip through traffic and freeway used 1/2 tank fuel drive heaps better less steering wobble less vibration in tail shaft I am actually enjoying driving her now !
Seems to like 77km/h or 47 MPH by GPS on flat road,can't wait for next outing.!!!

chetbrz

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  It is very hard looking at the car with the wheel on to determine how the kingpin is angled but here are a few pictures that might help you.  Especially with the position of the I beam.

Good luck,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Tinkeys

Hi Chet!
          I thank you for your efforts very much , it s very hard to tell from photo , is the top of your king pin forward or to rear ,looks to be forward and can't quit see if there is a wedge between your I beam and spring, .If your I beam was installed like mine it's possible they just put wedge to suit orientation of Ibeam.
Does your steering return to centre after you turn ? And is there a wedge at rear of Ibeam and spring ?
Thank you Tony.

chetbrz

Quote from: Tinkeys on September 18, 2011, 07:07:00 PM
Hi Chet!
         I thank you for your efforts very much , it s very hard to tell from photo , is the top of your king pin forward or to rear ,looks to be forward and can't quit see if there is a wedge between your I beam and spring, .If your I beam was installed like mine it's possible they just put wedge to suit orientation of Ibeam.
Does your steering return to centre after you turn ? And is there a wedge at rear of Ibeam and spring ?
Thank you Tony.

Tony,

I am not sure what you mean by a wedge.  The I beam seems to be attached to the springs in a normal way.  Could you post a picture of this wedge ?

PS my car is a 29 and yes it appears that the KP is a degree or two forward of the rear but very hard to tell with the car on the ground.  Steering seems to work normally.  Also the I beam appears to be perpendicular to the spring.

Chet...

Doug

Hey Chet, I use to work in a truck shop. We would put a wedge on top of the axle to lean the king pins back so you would create caster to make the truck want to go straight. the more wedge the more it will want to go straight but harder to steer. Like I have said before I believe my 30U to be all most original as far as the frame axles all that. It's low mileage doesn't appear to have been disassembled. There is no wedge on my axle. I can't tell that it would make any difference witch way the beam was installed. Some one through the years  put the wedges in his trying to make it drive better when what it really needed was a rebuild. My thoughts.

chetbrz

Doug,

I think you are right.  To tell you the truth I don't recall how well the steering responds back to center and I just drove the car over the weekend.  I have never perceived a problem with the steering and generally take it really, really slow around sharp turns because of the wood wheels.  I am just happy that it moves forward and doesn't pull to either side.  The main thing for me is that it stops well for an old car.  Modal A's with cable brakes are a little scary to me. 

On my 29 it looks like the I-Beam angles slightly toward the back and if you installed the I-Beam backwards the wheels would locate themselves forward ???  Just my observation and not necessarily factual.  I don't think it can be installed backward ?  If it could be put in backwards I think it would present steering problems because of the way the wheels would find themselves positioned.

My 2 cents...   Chet...

Tinkeys

Hi Chet ! you could be right ! will find out for sure when the old girl gets stripped naked and her back scratched !! :D

Tinkeys

About 3 days ago put 3 deg. Wedge to rear side of front axle which in turn made top of kingpins lean further to rear , it now makes positive feel when driving and more effort to turn and no more steering wobbles !
Just getting better all the time"