• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Hand crank

Started by Doug, November 07, 2013, 09:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

I hand cranked my 30U this morning. I made the crank handle from looking at pictures of others. It took four cranks for it to start and this was a cold start. Retard the timing, no choke, set the idle. Didn't really hear it crank. The handle pushed out and I was making sure I didn't drop it and the engine was running.    

frankp

Doug,

Congrats on your success.  Were you desperate or just seeing if it worked?  LOL

frank
frank p

Doug

Just seeing if it worked. I kick start old bikes all the time. Nothing new. But I have seen so many variations in the cranks I just had to see if the one I made was comfortable to use.

SDGlenn

Good Job!  Hows the crank look, plated with gold likely, huh. lol  I would be afraid I'd have a heart attack if I tried cranking, I'd probable wait for some younger fellow to pass by, and beg for help............
Congrates
SDGlenn
SDGlenn

Doug

I used a piece of 3/4 round stock that had been laying around and rusted, had some pits in it. I wanted it to look old. Pulling up on the crank was easy, I was surprised at how easy. This engine cranks easy with the starter. I had to put a cam gear in several years ago. finding information on timing was hard. I have always set the points timing by ear and seat of the pants feel going down the road.

chetbrz

Doug,

There is info on timing in the Tech Section for the 29 Plymouth.  If you plan to use the hand crank for safety purposes the following should be checked.

With the spark control pulled all the way out, the engine should fire after TDC not before.  Pushing the control in should give you the advance you need for normal driving.  The reason for this is to ensure the engine doesn't firer in the wrong direction and drive the crank back into your hand.  The kick back could be very dangerous.  The crank will only disengage if the engine fires in the correct operating direction. 

Just an FYI, Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

Chet is entirely correct.

You do not want to be on the receiving end.  I had mentioned this in a previous thread, which is why I do not use it any more.  Were I intelligent enough to follow the timing instructions, it might be a different story.  I may attempt to enlist Crazydave at a later time for some fine tuning.  My crank was so weathered and pitted it actually broke at a bend.  Had it welded, but another good reason to keep battery well charged and the crank under the seat!  Still, a good tool to have; SD Glenn has a good idea!

frank
frank p