• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

New member 1929U 4dr

Started by frankp, August 13, 2012, 12:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankp

Hello everyone,

I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the great pictures of your beautiful cars and reading all the various posts.  It stirs the passion to get working on mine again after 22 months in storage.  Unfortunately, other work must be done first.

I also can't provide pictures, at this time - no digital camera.  Maybe if old fashion photos can be scanned, I might be in business.  A little background; This Ply was my first car and bought in Aug 1965 before I started my senior year in high school in Kansas.  I can still see my mothers' face when it was deposited in her garage; rusty, a top with a few wood bows, interior of seat springs plus other rusty junk, and the engine didn't run.  It was to be my college car, and drove it daily, when it ran (wood for fabric in u-joints doesn't last long)  Anyway, my parents graciously kept in their garage after graduation, army and until married and bought a house with a garage in Minnesota.

Getting too nostalgic here, but the memories of working on that heap with my dad and friends are ones I wouldn't trade.  I know many of you know exactly what I mean.

I have attempted to restore to original and use the vacuum tank as intended.  The post about overflowing got my attention.  I had the same problem several years ago while driving to POC meet 200 miles into Wisconsin.  A retired GM engineer provided the solution after he slept on it a couple of days.

The cork float has a brass rod through its center and is held in place by a brass "washer" on the top and bottom.  The solder on the top broke and allowed the float to rise on the center rod above the specified level.  Even though the measured quantity of gas would empty the inner tank with the float malfunctioning, it wasn't burned quickly enough to use it all.  Since the oil pump worked like a champ, the internal tank was filled to the top and the extra gas went straight into the oil via the vac line - now that will cure high oil pressure!!  That's how I knew I had a problem in the first place, low reading on gauge.  This may not be the answer, but it fixed my problem.

Thanks for reading my ramblings.  I look forward to seeing other pics and posts of your cars and will provide any info I have.

frankp
frank p

chetbrz

Hi Frank,

Great story.  I am thinking that most teenagers in the sixties wanted to drive a hotrod to school.  I am glad I didn't have a 29 Plymouth in those days because it would probably have sported a Chevy 327 with not much in the way of mufflers.  Today I know better.

Chet,...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Wrench29

welcome Frank!  Now I will not be the newbie on the block, I will have some company!  I got my 29 running about two weeks ago after working on it for nearly five months.  It purred like a kitten ( a smoky kitten) after not having run for 21 years.  I love the information that I have learned from this group. They are an excellent, responsive resource!

frankp

Thanks, guys.  And I don't mind being included in the new/young, for a change.

Great feeling to getting it running, isn't it!?  Good for you!

frankp
frank p