• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

28 / 29 Interior

Started by chetbrz, May 07, 2008, 04:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

Chris,

There is a 29 Plymouth 2 door sedan on eBay and the interior pictures show a pouch on the passenger side only.    The car looks like an older restoration but looks pretty true to form.  I will check my car tonight on the way home.  I think there are pouches on the rear doors ???  Who knows if my interior is original the only thing I know for sure is that it appears to be leatherette and very old.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

mopardave

My 2-door sedan has a pouch on the passenger side door only.  When I got the car, there was a window blind on the rear window, but it was so rotten I had to discard it.  My car had the original interior in it when I got it so I know the pouch was on the passenger side only.
All Plymouths: 1928 Q; 1951 P-23; 1966 Sport Fury Convertible; 1975 (Space) Duster; 1999 Prowler

Old Plymouths

I remember my 4 door '29 did have a map pocket only on the right front door. Later Plymouths moved the pocket to one of the rear doors.
This '29 has had a lot of work,although the underneath seems to have been left alone, but it has a lot of potential. Wonder why the guy that put the rear bumper together didn't assembly the left one the same as the right one? The right one is correct.The rad shell,the rad cap and the running boards have some work coming. Nice wheels and hubcaps. The headlight wiring needs to be put inside chromed flex tubing. I'ts missing it's Klaxon motor horn. But the engine compartment is very original . Notice the original decal on the brake fluid canisiter. I'm not sure about the interior. The material type looks original but it may be a later job? Did the seats have that black piping? The wood graining is gone from the window garnish mouldings. The paint job looks like the original light brown/fawn. But I believe it came in a 2 tone dark brown and light brown? Any I've seen are in 2 tone. Nearly all the black is worn off the steering wheel so it's had a few miles of use regardless of it's present condition. The head gasket looks new?   

chetbrz

Mr Plymouths

Take a look at Chris's interior.  It looks pretty original to me.  Also the Passenger side front and the drivers side rear have a map pouch.

What do you think.???

Chet...

Chris,  My car has no map pouches in the rear.  My interior is leatherette and has a map pouch on both front doors.  (29 Model-U,  US Built approximately March 29)  I don't know if mine is original but the interior is very, very old.  I will post pictures at some point.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29UJohn

When I bought my 29U 4 Door sedan in 1973 it had the original interior.  It was in very bad shape so I replaced it all.  I remember clearly there was a map pocket on the front passenger door and on the rear driver side door.  My Mom was a good seamstress and made me new map pockets, using the originals as paterns.
John
1929U 4 Dr

Satillite70

Hi Guys,
    With a great deal of work the interior is now almost finished on my 28 Q.  My mom pitched in after a lot of arm twisting and made me two pockets.  I noted that the front pocket on the passenger's door is about 15% larger than the one on the drivers side rear door.  The pockets were backed with a piece of cardboard, onto which was sewn a piece of velour, then the outer skin of the pocket, and though the corners are rounded the sewn portion was sewn square, then clinched tacks and stitching held the whole pocket in place on the panel from the back.  I believe I removed 6 clinched tacks from each pocket.

I also found that the car must have had the striped bottom on the front seat originally as pieces of it were used to keep the linkage on the front windshield from rattling, while the rest was blue velour.  Also one seat section had one more panel sewn in than the rest, the upholsterer corrected this error on the new seatskins, though I would have preferred to leave it.  I kept the original skins of the seats and complete interior, all bagged up and put away in case needed in the future for reference.  Also of note its strips of vinyl roof material tacked in the doors, perhaps this was done to keep the dust out of the mechanism, or noise reduction???  They are visable in one of the photos attached, some were placed with the black out, others the opposite.  The lines/pattern on the vinyl match the replaced roof, except that they are not as heavily pronounced as the replaced top.  I would say the new top has 50% deeper grooves that the original material hidden behind the door panels.

The handles on the interior were given a massive amount of polishing by my aunt Geraldine, and where they once were worn through the nickle plating, they now look as brand new.  Turtle Wax Polishing Compound was used by hand with terry cloth towels from the local dollarstore.  The polish shined up the base metal to match the nickle plating believe it or not!  I had to do a double take when I saw the results on the first one, you have to be in good light and up very close to pick out the areas that were worn away.  My aunt did an amazing job on these and saved me a ton of time!

I used a dark navy blue velvet on the side panels, a lighter color blue on the roof [it appears darker when you put it overhead but provides a nice subtle contrast and lightens up a drak interior] and  ...oh I hate to admit this but... I picked out a navy blue that has a "perforated look" [very classy and taseful I think] which was OEM on 1988-1995 GM Trucks.  Yeah I know I did it, put something Gm on a MOPAR, but trust me it was not a decision that came easily... it took me a week to choose the interior fabrics, and until it all came together I still had doubts.  The seats are very comfortable, I almost fell asleep in the back at about 11pm the other night while putting in the repainted interior window trims, but managed to slap myself in the face and plug away till about 1:30am.  Yeah, I'm totally addicted to this car now!

I had the seats done professionally as they were so filthy and it would have taken me too long to do myself. I did all the rest of the interior panels and roof liner myself.  I figure I have close to $2K in the interior.

Cost of seat upholstery with material $1,300
Cost of blue velvet ~$350
One roll of batting ~$30
I used two sheets of 1/8" MDF [hardboard] for backing panels ~$35
In the curver rear corners I substituted thin sheetmetal instead of cardboard as the metal proved easier to work with than MDF or cardboars, it held it's shape making covering with fabric much easier.
I used five cans of 3M super 77 spray glue and two packs of tacks, and one pack of 7/8" finish nails ~$100
Polishing compound [handles and dash] ~$7
~$1,857
Plus I still have to find a carpet and rubber mat for the floor.

Well I think that's most of the interior, I have attached a few photos to illustrate, I am working on the breaks and wheels currently.  I could have saved $1,000 on the seats had I done them myself, but it was worht the extra money to me to save time and frustration.  Sorry I have been out of touch for a couple weeks, I have been working full time at the hardware store, only to come home and work till 1 or 2 am on the car, get up at 7am and do it all over again, that's been the last week or two for me!

Cheers,
    Chris

Satillite70

Sorry forgot to note that I found grease pencil marks on the rear pass side corner, second photo on post above.  Some sort of numbering.  Not sure what is meant.  Below are a few more photos.

Chris

29UJohn

Wow.  Looks really nice.
;D
John
1929U 4 Dr

Satillite70

Question: Did the drivers door have a plain handle, that is without the little leaf or fan on the larger end?

The handles in the rest of the car bear this little extra engraving, the drivers side including the front windshield crank handle have nothing but a little rib all the way around them.

I also made up a couple kick panels of the same material as the door panels.

I got a wheel from the fellow nearby and a ride in his '28, which he told me used to be blue as well.  His kick panels are black leatherette/vinyl, and his handles are in very rough shape, mose have no plating on them and a couple a re broken off.  He wanted me to drive, but I declined, not wanting to be responsible if anything went wrong!  Stopped at a set a train tracks at the time, he started to get out and then I said no thanks, and a few seconds later a large freight headed by three engines thundered by!  I probably would have stalled it on the tracks knowing my luck.  Anyway his exhaust is rotted and it is a bit musty but what a neat ride!  Comfortable and smooth at 40mph, started on the first push of the button.  I was grinning ear to ear. ;D

I have been slowed down by a cold an cough the last three days, but will get back at it tomorrow now that my friend has wired up my light industrial compressor... spend over a $1100 on compressor, and they don't even give a wiring diagram, simply reads " contact a licenced electricial for installation. "....

Well on to blowing out the lines in the morning.

Chris

29UJohn

You are very fortunate to have such a good set of door handles.  The pot metal they were made of does not stand the test of time well.  I suspect the driver side handles and windshield crank may have been replaced, as these would experience the most wear.
John
1929U 4 Dr