• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Hayes Body Corp 29U 4 door sedans

Started by 29UJohn, December 30, 2016, 12:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29UJohn

Dave,
The pinstripes on your car - do they join into one stripe along the back, or continue as two stripes close together across the back of the car?
John
1929U 4 Dr

Crazydave

Quote from: 29UJohn on January 09, 2017, 11:01:40 PM
Dave,
Can you post the actual picture of the inside door handle, so I can send it to Neil Butters?  Or email it to me?
John
johnrfain@gmail.com

Do you want a copy of one I posted? You should be able to just right click on the image and copy it or save as or even just grab it (left click) and drag it to a folder or on the desktop. I can take a few more if you like, and email if you prefer.

I'll go check in on her tomorrow and check out the pinstripes.

frankp

John,  Paint job looks sharp!  What color will your pin stripe be?
frank p

29UJohn

Dave,
Your picture of the original handles appear to be linked to a web based album and I cannot copy them. 

Frank,
The pinstripes will be Dupont "Harvest Gold".  It is the closest I can find to the original "Deep Gold Bronze" listed for a 1929 Sedan with Blue body.
John
1929U 4 Dr

frankp

That will look real good against the black.   My pin stripe around the rear bead is single.  Difficult to see in this picture.  Top line of side follows the curve downward in the moulding.   frank
frank p

chetbrz

Frank, your car looks great !!!

When I get around to starting on my frame rebuilding and body alignment project I might have to call on you for some quick dimensional checks.

Cheers, Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Crazydave

Quote from: 29UJohn on January 11, 2017, 06:15:14 PM
Dave,
Your picture of the original handles appear to be linked to a web based album and I cannot copy them. 

Frank,
The pinstripes will be Dupont "Harvest Gold".  It is the closest I can find to the original "Deep Gold Bronze" listed for a 1929 Sedan with Blue body.

If you right click on the image, you will get an option to save image. I tried in chrome and IE. (future reference) I emailed you a group of pictures.

Checked my pinstripes, there is really not an enough left to come up with any conclusion.

29UJohn

Dave,
Thanks for the handle pics!

Frank - Great car and thanks for the pinstripe explanation and picture!
John
1929U 4 Dr

frankp

Thanks, John.  You didn't ask about the hood, but double stripe parallels the hood bead to the radiator.  They don't curve to a point and aren't joined by a vertical line.  They just end near the radiator shell where it looks natural.

Thanks,Chet,  happy to do what I can, providing it's May - Oct when not in hibernation.

frank p

29UJohn

Thanks Frank, I didn't realize that.
I was starting with a picture if of the 1928 Plymouth Red Roadster in the Chrysler museum as a guide, but I couldn't tell that detail - thanks!
Jeff Buton told me the strips should be about 3/32 inch wide.
I have looked at lots of pictures of guys 28-29s with pinstripes, but I did not have a picture of the rear of the sedan with pinstripes.
I have one picture of the to of the hood, that's another picture of the red roadster in the museum.

One other question - the judging guide states that the dash should be pinstriped too.  I have only seem one picture of that and so I am not planning on having the dash pinstriped.
John
1929U 4 Dr

29UJohn

BTW - It would be really great if I had a good set of pictures that showed all the details for the pin striper to go by!
:) :D
John
1929U 4 Dr

frankp

John,  i don't recall seeing any striping on the dash in restored 28Q roadster and 29U 2dr sedan, and Dave's survivor.  He may prove me wrong, though.   A 30U I saw did have the double stripe on the rear bead, but I don't know if it was original.  Earl Buton had two opportunities to tell me my striping wasn't complete/correct.  Actually, he corrected my hood striping the first time he saw it.  Thanks for the width info.  Wish I could provide pictures you're looking for.  frank
frank p

29UJohn

Frank,
I appreciate the information.  I have received some advise from Earl and Jeff on my car restoration in the past, but I do wish the Club had more information on these first Plymouths.  I really want to do it right this time, but it is hard sometimes knowing what right is.
Thanks.

Also - Mike Butters sent me some pictures of sample handles he has.  It looks like he can make the interior door handles, except he does not have the same knob on the window winder, it is a plain knob.  So I get the dimensions right, how ling long are the interior door and window winder handles?

John
John
1929U 4 Dr

29UJohn

One last (I think) pinstripe question - when the stripes reach the door knob escutcheon, does the strip appear to go under the escutcheon, or does it stop short and pick up again on the other side?  In other words, should I remove the door handles before the pinstriping is done?
John
1929U 4 Dr

frankp

frank p