• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Some dimensional help needed.

Started by chetbrz, January 26, 2017, 04:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

Since nothing of my floor was original I am trying to piece together what was probably there.  The next couple of questions would be a big help.

Question 1:

How much gap is there between the rear body section and the gas tank bracket. 
Measured between the body and the top of the support bracket.

Question 2:  See picture..

Question 3:  It appears that the front section is equidistant from the end of the frame to the firewall.  My question is:  How much gap if any is between the firewall and the front fender assembly.  See picture below.

Many thanks in advance,  Chet...

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29UJohn

Chet,
The center pillar bracket is mortised into the floorboards and the bolt goes through to the frame.
The front pillar support bracket is also mortised into the floorboards so it sits flush (makes the floormat lay flat.)

On my car there is about 3/8 inch spacing from the firewall to the fender.  However, I do not think that can be adjusted because both are bolted to the frame.  The bracket behind the front of the firewall has a bolt that goes through the frame. 

As for the space between the back and the gas tank bracket (frame), on my car it is approx 3/8 inch.  But, this height depends on the thickness of the rubber pads the body sits on.  For my car, I used two layers cut from and old conveyor belt, each about 5/16 thick, for a total of about 5/8 thick.  That was 40+ year ago.  I have no way of knowing if that is correct, it was they best I could do in 1974, and even then the original pads were 45 years old and I assume squashed somewhat.  I have know way of knowing what the original pad thickness was.
John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

This is great info, Just what I was looking for.

Based on this information I can now accurately determine the location of the front and rear body sections and the exact location of the Door Pillar.  Also, I can now calculate the exact length of the sill member.   :)

Thanks,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member