• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Another Great Weekend

Started by chetbrz, October 07, 2007, 07:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

It is October and the weather here in Virginia is 90 degrees at 5:00 PM with clear blue skies.   I took the 29-U out for a spin and turned 300 miles on the odometer since I brought her home last year.  She is getting to be a regular driver in that the last couple of times I took her out I didn't have to fix anything.  Ya.!!!   Actually on my adventure today I forgot to take the usual tool bag and didn't even give it a second thought.

Well my winter project besides the restoration work I am doing to my 48 Plymouth Special Deluxe is to respoke the wheels on the 29. 

I plan on providing a step by step description of what I will be doing including diagrams and pictures.  It costs somewhere in the $300 to $400 dollar bracket per wheel to have someone do this.  Most of the cost is labor so I think I can accomplish this for about $75 to $100 dollars per wheel.  Including the tools purchased.

I installed a spindle duplicating device on the wood lathe I purchased from another car buddy.  Cost $40 plus the duplicating device which was $150.  So I am into this at the moment for about $190 which is less then the cost for one wheel.

The wood is Kiln Dried Hickory and can be purchased form a couple of Pennsylvania wood shops cut to size and planed square.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member