• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Tools

Started by 1930, June 13, 2011, 08:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello,  I have been studying what the original toolkits consisted of for our cars and have made alot of progress, as many of you may or may not know there has never been any original factory photos of the toolkits for any Chrysler produced vehicle before  1935 ( that I know of ) that has ever surfaced so any car owners  that fell prior to this date have taken the word of shady e-bay sellers whom don't care either way whether what they are selling is correct or not.
I believe also due to the fact that AACA judging not deducting points for missing tool-kits in past years has played a big part in auto enthusiasts not taking the extra step to making there cars complete and correct but as can already be seen major judging standards are changing in favor of cars with correct complete toolkits.
I have been able to cross reference the few part numbers for Plymouth that I do have with other known Chrysler vehicles part numbers from original kits and in this way I am able to determine what alot of these tools were that made up the Plymouth toolkits but I need some help.
I need  a copy of the model specific parts manual TOOLS SECTION  ( which has always been one single page thus far ) for all years of Plymouth cars 1928-1938 or so.
I have to set a cut-off or I will never complete this so I have tried to end at 38 but it would seem that there were some major changes in 36 so I may have to expand my studies a little to answer more questions.
I don't need the Master Parts Books tools section for a couple of reasons first and foremost the information has proven to be very inaccurate when compared to the year specific model specific information and secondly I have some of these copies already.
If anyone is willing to help please respond to this post or contact me via e-mail at jhason2@yahoo.com

Also if you own any other Chrysler produced make and have that makes specific parts book and would be willing to scan the tools page it would be greatly appreciated as well.
I have been doing this because no one else has and their are people that care enough about restoring their cars correctly but dont have the hours upon hours upon hours to try and research these kits themselves

Thanks for any consideration in this matter
Jason Anderson

chetbrz

I will send you the scan for 29 Plymouth Fifth Edition May 1929 if you don't already have it.  Will post it tonight no time this morning.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Thanks, is that the owners manual or the model specific parts book, I have the owners manual already.
Is there such a thing as a model specific parts book for these early Plymouths, just in case that is unclear.....Dodge for instance had parts books released each year, in some cases they also issued revised issues and  preliminary issues as well. These parts manual are much more accurate than Masters Parts books because these books showed more accurate current parts #s as apposed to later additions where they sorta jumbled alot of things together.
It is with these model specific parts books that I am able to cross referance part # for instance I have found 3 original Dodge toolkits for the 1936 model year, Plymouth using their master parts book ( that shows pict. by the way ) has confirmed that Plymouth used the same jack.
Another example is the Plymouth 32 P2 used the same jack as Dodge used for a number of years, I know what these jacks looked like thru collection of photos and literature from both makes. I unfortunately cant say what other specific year Plymouths used this 941 jack because I dont have the model specific parts book for Plymouth or rather I have very few so if anyone has any suggestions on contact people that would scan that single page from their parts books ( if it does exist ) than I can move forward.
I cant afford to buy every Plymouth part book that shows up on e-bay.
Jason Anderson

I was able to answer my own question, I forgot that I had this 29 Plymouth model specific parts manual, my next question so this post in not a complete waste would be on the cover of this book it states affective serial numbers Detroit from HL950p to RH977H Windsor from GP000P to GP5808............Unless I am incorrect these are serial numbers of the cars that the book covers so would this book cover 28 models as well, I dont know how these numbers ran and have been under the impression that most if not all 28 Plymouths were introduced as 29 models and please correct me if I am wrong.
It would appear clear that all Plymouth after 29 would have had the same books issued to them so please help if you can, thanks
Jason Anderson

chetbrz

See the link below for build info:

http://www.1948plymouth.info/SupportPages/FEDCO_Information.htm

HL950P was the first 1928 Plymouth to roll off the assembly line and yes Chrysler targeted these cars for the sales year 1929. 

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

I was able to find some of that info yesterday but that is more than I was able to find so thanks for that.
Can you answer this so I can put it to rest, you mentioned what you had and said you would post it, I asked.......... is that the owners manual or the model specific parts book, I have the owners manual already. .............
Jason Anderson

chetbrz

Sorry,  I only have the Plymouth Instruction Book, the owners manual.  All it has is the list of tools no pictures or other details.

Jason Anderson

Gary 30U

I am also interested in putting toget the "correct" tool kit for my 30-U.

In the New Finer Plymouth Instruction Book, First Edition, April 1930 it lists the 16 items making up the kit, but no part numbers or pictures.

In the Plymouth Master Parts List, final edition, for all Models prior to 1934 all I find is parts numbers for Tool kit assemblies and bags. Again no pictures.

Will be watching this post for future info.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Gary

Gary, it we can come up with these individual parts book pages that have the part numbers than alot of these items will fall into place. I can compare these part numbers with the part numbers and information I have collected for Dodge and in this way we can all know what originally came with your Plymouth.
I have thank-fully now a few of these pages and the part numbers used for plymouth in many cases are identical to the Dodge part numbers.
I have asked several people how to go about getting a club roster so that Plymouth  car owners can be contacted and asked about what tools they might have and as importantly if they have the part book for their car but so far I have not had any Plymouth club members answer my question on wether a roster even exists.
The only way that anyone in our lifetime will have these questions answered is by picking up the phone and making phone calls. This is what had to be done to collect a good portion of the information i have so far.
The majority of people that I have spoken with enjoy talking about their cars and are more than eager to share what info they have.
Can you tell me if a roster exists and how I might secure a copy? Thanks
Jason Anderson

SDGlenn

Good going guys. I am not interested putting together a particular tool list or kit to keep with my car. I just want a tool kit I can fix something on the road with if I break down. (Along with AAA) lol. However, I have quite a few old wrenches that I have had for years, I will take a picture of what I have and post it here, it anybody want any of what I have, most of it is available to them (not an arm or leg). I just want to know what unit they are going to be used for.OK?
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

mopardave

I have a couple of the tools that came with my '28.  Certainly not the whole list.  I will have to dig them out and see what is there.
All Plymouths: 1928 Q; 1951 P-23; 1966 Sport Fury Convertible; 1975 (Space) Duster; 1999 Prowler

Glenn, I am interested in all of it so does that mean I have first dibbs on what you have??? ;D
If you just want a toolkit than you can go anywhere to get that, your nearest Sears will have any tool you could want.
Jason Anderson

SDGlenn

LOL,  The tools I have are probable from some old timers mechanic shop, or general shade tree mechanic. Some may belong to Plymouths, some to other brands of car, some may not be as old as I think, some of you can enlighten me on those. lol  If anybody wants a tool, what I would like is to be sure these are not to be put up for sale to make a profit on, and mostly to help someone complete thier set (not to build a complete set) I have enough tools (I was a Mechanic for a Ford garage for many years and even ran my own shop for a spell) I guess I don't need Sears. lol
I took pictures today, probable 100 lbs of tools out of my main box (I sure like the extra room), then the camera quit working and would not down load the pictures. Tomorrow I will retake the picture. Some of the tools I show will not go to a new home, but most will if anybody wants.   Later,
SD Glenn
SDGlenn

SDGlenn

Here are some of the tools I happen to have. I have more and will post them later as I get them together. Certain tools I need for my Plymouth, the rest can go.
SD Glenn
SDGlenn