• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Engin #

Started by Doug, August 10, 2007, 10:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

AllPar says my engin # should start with a U, Mine starts with PB, I had to put a Cam gear in it shortly after I got it, I got the gear from EGGEs, They didn't ask for any #s. It's cools by thermo and it has the vacum fuel pump. The gentelman I got it from had put an electric pump on it but I found a vacum pump, I like it better. Still curius about these engin#s

mopardave

I believe that your car has a 1932 4-cylinder from the PB model.  This was the last year for the 4-cylinder.
All Plymouths: 1928 Q; 1951 P-23; 1966 Sport Fury Convertible; 1975 (Space) Duster; 1999 Prowler

Doug

Thanks, That what it most be but wouldn't it have the diaphram fuel pump and water pump? Looking at other 30u's it looke just like them

mopardave

It could have been a retro fit and left the older equipment with it or maybe just moved the short block.
All Plymouths: 1928 Q; 1951 P-23; 1966 Sport Fury Convertible; 1975 (Space) Duster; 1999 Prowler

Doug

It runs good and it's fun to drive, Thats the main thing.

chetbrz

Interesting,   I thought the water pump and mechanical fuel pump were cut in some time during the 30-U production run.  Since the water pump was added in 1930, I assumed that the PA & PB had a water pump.  If this is in fact a PB block then if the PB can be made into a thermo then it should be relatively easy to cut in a water pump on the old style U block.   

I remember someone on the POC Board asking about cutting in a water pump on a Model -29U block.   I know a strange question for the POC Board.  Modifications are not always welcome but it makes sense that the blocks were the same except for some additional holes to accommodate the water pump.  I know that the 196 and the 175 use the same engine gasket set plus or minus a few extra gaskets to accommodate the water pump and fuel setups.  It stands to reason that the blocks were the same. 

I saw a PB in a recent show and what a difference between the 32 & 33 cars and my 29.   Two to three years of production made a big difference in materials and workmanship.  My assumption is that after the depression both labor and materials came cheep and Plymouth took advantage of the opportunity to improve their product.  You can definitely see it in the cars of the mid-thirties.  In my opinion some of the nicest styling and quality Plymouth produced as well as other manufactures. 

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Doug

I'll take some pictures and try to post them,