• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

copper tubing

Started by Rusty, September 17, 2009, 07:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

I noticed that the fuel line and oil pump lines are copper.  My old car "expert" (grandpa) has that copper lines on a car can work harden and crack.  Were they steel or orginially copper?

rusty

p4jim

Hi Rusty.
Your brake lines were originally copper as well.  Mine still are.  I did replace the fuel line for that reason with another copper line.  My car is a 30U coupe, one of the brake lines had been ruptured and repaired with solder when I got it.  Even tho it was working well I changed it to.  Jim

29UJohn

I know the brake and oil lines are copper, but aren't the gas lines steel?
John
1929U 4 Dr

29 doUg

Yes, they should be steel. Only the brake lines were copper, at least on mine.

Rusty

Are the copper brake lines a thin or thick wall copper?  The reason I ask is I found a pretty good dent in the main line that goes from the master clyinder to the   t   that splits the brakes to front and back.  It appears that the volume would be reduced due to dent and I would guess that it should be replaced.  Would any copper line from the local hardware store work?  Is there different types of line?
rusty

Rusty

I emailed Tom from  then n now and he said to leave it alone. In the day, there was brake line copper tubing you could but not for 50 years.  Replace the dent if leaking and then it would be will steel (modern) stuff.
rusty