• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Clutch concerns - Help

Started by Gary 30U, February 12, 2011, 07:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary 30U

I am still working on trying to solve my engine vibration

Took the Clutch pressure plate and the flywheel off today and found that five of the bolts that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel are 5/16" and one is 3/8". When I checked my spare pressure plate it also had the same size holes, 5 - 5/16" and 1 - 3/8", but, when I check my two extra flywheels I find that all six holes are 5/16" in both of them.

Now I know that some of you have done clutches in your cars, what is the real story. Should they all be 5/16" and why would one be 3/8"? I kind of thought the 3/8" bolt was so that it always went back in the same position on the flywheel.

Is this difference in size enough to cause a sever vibration problem with the engine?

I am going to take them (both sets of flywheel and clutch plates) in tomorrow for testing and balancing, but sure would like your input about why we may have different size bolts and if you think that is maybe a cause for my problem.

Gary

SDGlenn

Gary, Guess I just need to shrug my shoulders on that one, I have heard the Flywheel needs to be in the correct place, maybe Chet or Tod (Maybe Tods Site has some info.) will come up with something for this problem. Good Luck,
Glenn
SDGlenn

29UJohn

On my 29U the flywheel will only go on one way. 

When I had my engine balanced, the machine shop did not use the clutch, only the flywheel, crankshaft and pully.  It runs smooth.

I do not think one slightly oversize hole and bolt would make that much difference.  That is only a few grams, not enough to matter.

John
1929U 4 Dr

Rusty

Mine were all 5/16's.  The flywheel could be bolted up any way.  There way not just only one way it go on, unlike my 42 buick.  I bet someone stripped the hole and drilled it out and treaded it for the next size up.  It will make a unbalanced flywheel but I would be bet that it would vbe very min and probably not the cause of a major unblalance problem.
rusty

Tinkeys

Hi Guys !!
             I have worked on quite a few engine rebuilds and tend to agree 100% with Rusty !
When my engine gets pulled down in future will be getting full rotating assembly balance. (Its not a smooth engine)

Tinkeys

Any further news on Balancing Gary ?

Gary 30U

I had some of the guys out and we played with the car last weekend, on the 26th. They convinced me to take the flywheel and clutch plate in for a balance ckeck before pulling the complete engine.

I just got it back Thursday and it was way out of balance. He had to drill two holes in the flywheel and had to drill out the back of the plate in the pressure plate. Interesting but they drill down inside the springs to the back of the pressure plate.

Anyway we went on a nice tour today to a nice collection of cars, had lunch and then toured one of the old parts supplies that just opened up a new shop. Had a great day.

Tomorrow I will start putting it back together, but have the radiator off being cleaned out, so running it is probably a few days away.

Thanks for asking.

Tinkeys

Can't  wait to hear result ! I. Hope it works out for you.

Gary 30U

Hi Tony, Shipped your shocks the other day. Waiting for Post Office to get the correct box to ship the Spark Plug Wire Holder. Will advise.

Gary

Rusty

Did they say how much weight needed to be removed to make  it balanced?
rusty

Gary 30U

No, he didn't say how much he hd to remove. But, he did say that he has had rebuilt clutch pressure plates that were so far off that he couldn't balance them at all. He simple gave them back to the owners. In some cases they had them redone, moved the parts around, and they could then be done.

Gary

Tinkeys

Hi Gary !
          Have yoo got motor back together yet?
Thanks Tony.

Gary 30U

Delays - Delays - Delays.

Had some fellows from the Plymouth club out Saturday. but, as luck would have it the suppiers that wer supposed to deliver didn't. NAPA was supposed to have my cleaned and surfaced head back first thing Saturday morning. Didn't perform. Automotive Friction was supposed to have my water pump rebuilt, but didn't get it that Friday. Still waiting for calls from both outfits.

Anyway we did get some donuts and coffee put away and helped some of the members answer some question about problems they were having.

Will post some pictures etc. later.

Gary

Tinkeys

How is Plymouth coming along ?
Mine is soon to be on road legally it has passed road worthy certificate !

Gary 30U

Got delayed with other things, but got it running today and ALASS balance job on flywheel and pressure plate didn't help.

I got down and looked real close and it appeared that one of the rear motor mounts may have gave way and let the mount sag down to touch the fram rail. I loosened it up and jacked the engine up so the mount wasn't touching the frame and still a vibration. This is still enough to rattle the gauges in the dash.

I am at my wits end. I guess it is back to where I was a few weeks ago and pull the engine for a complete balance job.

Somebody PLEASE advise. It looks like pulling the engine is no easy job. Do you need to take the bell housing off before pulling the engine?

Can you change the rear motor mounts without pulling the engine?

Where can I find replacement or revulcanized rear motor mounts?

But, the plus side is, the engine seems to run great after the engine cleaning and the rebuilt distributor.

Gary