• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Alternative Carb for 28-29 Plymouth?

Started by 29UJohn, November 04, 2012, 10:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29UJohn

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good replacement carb that will easily fit the 28-29 Plymouth?  I would like to get a carb for regular driving and save the original for show only.
John
1929U 4 Dr

Rusty

I used a carb from a model A.  It bolted on but the choke lever is reverse.  The choke knob is pulled all the way out (open choke) and pushed in for starting ( closed choke).   I live in the country and the original air cleaner is good to keep out small rocks.  You can use a modern air filter on the model A carb.  I had plans on changing to the original carb at shows but that turned out to be such a pain.  Never had anyone tell me it was the wrong carb.

Old Man

Yes I have heard you can use a Model A carb. Mac's in Buffalo sells several modern air cleaners to put on an original Model A carb. $24.25 to $37.95 and then one for $65.50. They go on the carb mouth and then go up at 90 degrees with the filter on the top of the neck. Replacement paper air filters  $9.95 and $10.50. They also sell brand new carbs for $320 to $450 !!!!!!!

frankp

Hi John,

Sounds like you have a good solution.  I'm curious as to why you do not want use the "original" full time?  To me, inactivity is the worst enemy of even a well maintained car.

frank
frank p

Rusty

I got my model A carb off ebay.  Few hundred bucks for a fresh rebuilt one. My 29 is a daily driver in the summer and with the addition of electric fuel pump, very reliable.

chetbrz

Quote from: Rusty on May 26, 2014, 11:03:45 PM
I got my model A carb off ebay.  Few hundred bucks for a fresh rebuilt one. My 29 is a daily driver in the summer and with the addition of electric fuel pump, very reliable.

The nice thing about driving the 29 during rush hour is that no body can go any faster than you.  The problem is not having disk brakes.  If you leave enough space somebody jumps in and hits their disk brakes and then it's.  Oh! baby...  Unless you live rural then you're the other car on the road.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29UJohn

Frank,
I am now using one of my original type brass bowl carbs and the engine is running fine.  I have had problems in the past and was considering a better replacement carb for regular driving.  Right now it is running fine.  When I bought the car in '72 it did not have the original carb.  Over the years I obtained three brass bowl carbs, one is a 28 model and two are 30 models.  All of them have some problems, but the one I amusing now seems to be doing fine.
John
John
1929U 4 Dr