• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Cement for Running Board Mats - what works best?

Started by 29UJohn, January 20, 2015, 06:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

29UJohn

I want to put new mats on the running board on my 1929 Plymouth.  What is the best adhesive to use?
John
1929U 4 Dr

Bearings 46

Anyone have a good source of running board rubber for a 30 - 30U
Thanks.
Rich

frankp

John,  I didn't glue mine.  Held in place by aluminum trim on running board perimeter.

Rich,  Sorry, I don't even know what was correct pattern for Q and 29U.  Try Bob Romano of the POC, he advertises he can supply 28-33 repro mouldings.  bobnramano@yahoo.com (from the Plymouth Bulletin)
frank p

SteveG

'Quote; "John,  I didn't glue mine.  Held in place by aluminum trim on running board perimeter."

I also did this.

SteveG

29UJohn

Wow, interesting that you all did not glue it down.  I did not consider that option.  Does it move much when driving?

40 years ago I bought generic running board mat with black cement.  It has held fast, but I want to replace the mats and moulding.  I do not know what that glue was I used.

The new molding came in today.  Jeff Buton recommended Brad Landoll (he advertises in Skinned Knuckles Mag).  It is excellent and correct.  email: blandoll@hotmail.com

The matting I am ordering from Restoration Supply Company in California:  http://www.restorationstuff.com/
It is item number RUB015.  Jeff Buton said it is a great match.  I do not know if it is the same for the 30 or not.

John
John
1929U 4 Dr

29UJohn

How did you guys attach the outer moulding to the running board?  Brad sent little clips that he said go into slots on the top outer edge of the running board.  I do not see any slots on my running board for the clips to go into.  Considering using a few small rivet screws on the outer edge.
John
1929U 4 Dr

frankp

John,

Maybe someone will have pictures of these slots.  I would advise using the rivets as a last resort since it wouldn't be stock.  Maybe you could cut slots with a Dremel.

frank
frank p

Crazydave

Pictures! Maybe some day I'll get far enough to worry about the details like this. From my 29. They are just a touch a longer than 3/4 inch.

29UJohn

Wow.  Thanks. My running boards don't look that that.  They are smooth on top and thick on the sides.  No slots and no room for the clips even if I cut in the slots. Maybe my running boards were recovered with another layer of metal.  The inside and end trim pieces match the old trim I have, but I never had the outer trim and there is no indication of there ever being any. 
John
1929U 4 Dr