• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Assembly of leaf spring rear&front

Started by jjohn, April 02, 2016, 01:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjohn

Hi
I need some help with what kind of distance between the bolts and the clamp?
Is there any washer outside the clamp also? I cannot fins any pictures how the assembly should be.
Thanks, (Is there any repair manual to this model, 1929, 2 door sedan, exploded view of assembly?)

ski

I will try to post some pics later today of what mine looks like.

jjohn

ski

Okay I'll post the front pics then the rear.  These are of two different 29U's I have here and you can see some subtle differences in the shackles.  The ones that appear more rounded over are from a definitely all stock 29U coupe.  The others are from a 29U coupe as well. All grease fittings point outboard.

ski

ski

ski

ski

I may have misread your post and I showed pics of the rear hanger of a rear spring and the front hanger of a front spring.  I can take more if you need but the stack-up of front and rear hangers of either front or rear spring appears to be the same. The only place there seems to be a washer other than the obvious ones on the shackle "squeeze" bolts/nuts is on the inboard side of the front hanger of the front springs.  The top and bottom attachment points of all the shackles appears to be fitted together and then held in place by the "squeeze bolts" for lack of a better term.

jjohn

Thank you for sharing these photos. :)
Washer thickness outside the clamps, may be approximately 2 mm? (0.08)
The "inboard side of the front hanger" what thicknees do you think?

ski

I'm going to take better pictures tomorrow from the side.  The large washer under the bolt head of the clamp is 3/32 thick and bent, not quite concave. The lock washer under the nut of the clamp is like you say 2mm or around 1/12 of an inch or so. I would guess the bent washer provides some spring clamping and locking action. The washer up front is 1/16" thick.  I'll take a better look at all 4 mounting points. 

ski

Des28Qau

Hi Guys , If the washers are suposed to be concave/convex then they are called Belleville washers ( also sometimes called conical spring washers or disc spring washers ) and are spring steel, (obviously the high centre should be against the bolt head or nut) . Remember a 1mm high grade ( bolt store supplied) washer is better and does not deform as much as a 2mm cheap washer.
Cheers Des.
Des

ski

Here's some better pics. The "Belleville" washer is actually two of them stacked together. I can't get pics of the fwd spring rear mount or aft spring front mount until I can get my car back outside.  Here's the rear mount of the rear spring.

ski

jjohn

Great! Thank you very much for the information :) .