• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Dodge VS Plymouth

Started by 1930, September 16, 2010, 08:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I would like to start a discussion on the differences between Dodge and Plymouth (28-32) interior amenities, anyone interested in this subject?
Jason Anderson

chetbrz

Sure, But I don't much about Dodge.  My assumption would be that the Dodge would have had more amenities.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

mopardave

I know very little about Dodge of that era, I wouldn't be able to discuss much.
All Plymouths: 1928 Q; 1951 P-23; 1966 Sport Fury Convertible; 1975 (Space) Duster; 1999 Prowler

Rusty

Were dodges higher up the ladder than Plymouth?  Where did desoto fit in?
rusty

My internet has been down for the past 4 days..... I know a bit about Dodge but would like to know more about Plymouth, getting late now, work tomm. so I will have to pick this up tomm. evening, thanks for the interests.
Jason Anderson

chetbrz

Here is a picture of a 1929 Dodge I pulled from the web:

Actually looks closer to a 30-U Plymouth.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Fendermender

Nice car but I really hate it when these things are hot rodded.
MHO

Interent issues still but now back for good hopefully, I have a list of questions and facts, mainly interested in 28-32 Plymouth but am only somewhat knowledgable with 28-30 Dodge so that is where whatever info I have comes from.
1-Dodge offered a standard and deluxe interior upgrade on their 29/30 Dodge DA model line which included ( amongst other items ) special upholstery and interior corner lamps in addition to the overhead dome lamp, the interior corner lamps are identical in appearance to the overhead dome light except miniature in size. ( I have a comeplete set if anyone is curious to see them ) Did Plymouth ever offer such things in their cars?

2-Dodge floor coverings consisted of rubber mat in the front ( with draft pads around pedals ) and carpet in the rear on the majority of their models did Plymouth also use the same?

3-I am curious as to what Plymouth used to hold the carpet down to the floor if it was used, Dodge used a two piece brass snap, one half was imbedded in carpet and the second half was screwed ( sometimes nailed depending on prod sequence I assume  ) into floorboard. I searched quite a few years for all the missing snaps for my car and finalyy learned that 29 Ford Vicky 29/30 Chevrolet and I am sure many others I am unaware of used the same retainers so it helped to broaden my search.

4- Rubber mat was held in place on Dodge via a special headed screw type gimick which I am at a loss of words to try and explain right now but again I can show pict. if anyone is interested.

5- Curious to know if Plymouth ever used the Fedco numbering tag on dash

6-Dodge models had option of Broadcloth ( which is my original interior ) mohair or leather, id Plymouth also offer these options to their customers?

7- Did Plymouth ever offer a Victoria model or any model that had an opera seating arrangement, maybe a model where as the two front seats or one of the seats folded up under the dash for easy entry to the rear.

8- Dodge used a metal box under the front sear to store the tool kits, did Plymouth have this metal tray or box under the front or rear seat.

Lots more but I suppose I should wait and see where we get with this, thanks again
Jason Anderson

Ok with 93 views  either no one cares or no one knows, curious to know which it is though so I can put it to rest and move on to a different thought. Anyone care to comment?
Jason Anderson

chetbrz

I've been meaning to respond.  I have an original Salesmen's Reference book from 1929 which stack ranks the Plymouth against 4 cars in it's price range, Ford, Chevy, Whippet and I can't remember the other.  Unfortunately I can't seem to be able to find the book at the moment.   I think Dodge was in a higher price range. 

Interesting excerpt from Allpar website:

"Walter P purchased Dodge in 1928.  It seems that Chrysler successfully bet the entire company on his ability to buy Dodge Brothers... in later years, he was quoted as saying "without Dodge, there would be no Plymouth car". In the sense that Plymouth and the other makes would not have been able to expand production as they later did without Dodge's capacity, plus of course the later sale of Plymouths by Dodge dealers, this was undoubtedly true... and yet, Plymouth, DeSoto and Fargo production were all well under way when the Dodge sale took place. It's interesting, and a little unsettling, to imagine how the two firms would have weathered the upcoming Depression had they remained separate, what with Chrysler's new multiple makes and relatively low levels of production capacity, and Dodge's independent ownership by an investment firm with no other ties to the auto industry."

Going to Hershey tomorrow,

Chet...

chetbrz

Wow the board has become very quiet.  I guess everyone is parking their cars for the winter.  As far as the subject Dodge vs. Plymouth I think the 29 Dodge is very similar to the new style 30-U Plymouth.  Probably the purchase of Dodge by Walter P. had a very positive influence on the Plymouth cars of the 1930's and the years that followed.  In my opinion the 31 to 33 models were some of the finest cars manufactured for the price range.  Coming out of the depression the quality and the construction of the PA to PD were a major leap that helped move Chrysler into one of the best selling cars of the mid thirties. 

Chet... 

29plycoop

My '29 is waiting on a new wiring harness.  I ordered and received original type cloth covered wire with modern insulation under it.  While waiting for the wire to come in , started on painting two out buildings to get them ready for winter.  Priority's get rearranged once in a while. Next week the wiring harness is at the top of the list. (I think)  Could not make Hershey so will rely on everyone to let me know how it went this year. Happy Motoring!!!! - Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

chetbrz

Quote from: 29plycoop on October 14, 2010, 10:30:50 PM
Could not make Hershey so will rely on everyone to let me know how it went this year. Happy Motoring!!!! - Rich

Rich,

Hershey was pretty much the same as past years, I didn't spend much time with the car show my main reason for going was parts for my 48 or 29 Plymouth.  Lots of specialty vendors.  Plenty of Packard, and Ford parts, but not much that I could find related to Chrysler.  Oh well I only had the one day and did manage to pick up some molding clips.

Chet...

29plycoop

A few years ago on the last trip to Hershey, there was some '29/'30 Mopar fenders, a grill shell, and a few wheels.  Did not find any mechanical parts.  I still need a gas tank but will probably wind up having one made.  I have acquired the filler neck, gauge neck and dimensions off an original tank from a forum member, so the rest can be made.  The best parts and info suppliers for these pre-thirty' machines are this forum and Ebay now and then.  Another fun project.   Happy motoring!!!! - Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.