• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Foot rest bent - Any ideas on how to repair?

Started by 29UJohn, February 03, 2018, 09:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

29UJohn

The pole on my 4 door sedan is bent - was that way when I bought it years ago.  Any ideas on how to repair it would be appreciated.
The pole is thin wall, 1 inch in diameter, rolled, and appears to be riveted on the ends.
Most hardware poles I have looked at have an OD of 1.050 inch, so will not fit.
The rivet it very thin and long, an unusual size.
If I find a pole that is the right diameter, I still need to figure. Out how to rivet ends. I thought about anealing a finishing nail to make the rivet.

Or, I could try to figure out a way to straighten the pole.

John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

John,

You are correct in the outside dimension of exactly 1" also the pipe does seem to be thin.  When you say thin wall I immediately think electrical pipe.  I am sure that you dragged your mike to Lowes or Home Depot to check every type of pipe that they sell including closet and shower curtain poles. 

Here is a link to 1" OD steel pipe.  (May be what you are looking for.)

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=7775&step=4&id=283&CAWELAID=120293320000035780&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0Lqbx42K2QIVT7bACh3u7whCEAQYASABEgKDxPD_BwE

I Google 1" OD Pipe

As far as a rivet is concerned a Round head slotted machine screw would suffice especially if you tapped the pipe hole to the screw size.

Chet...

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Articifer Tom

Yes on tubing sizes . Electrical will not work all are inside measured and none exactly . Tractor Supply may have , done know about length . Any fab shop should have .

29UJohn

Chet,
I did check Lowes and Home Depot, then searched on-line.  The link you sent  is great!
Thanks!

29UJohn
John
1929U 4 Dr

29UJohn

I purchased a stainless steel seamless tone that had an OD of 1.000 inch.  I was able to remove the four rivets with a punch.  They are the press fit type like used for putting data plates on starters, generators, etc. what was interesting is one had a small head allowing me to punch it through to the inside, the other one ( on the same end was slightly larger so I punched it out from the inside.  The end pieces are castings and the insides of the "cup"where the rod goes in is very rough.  The original tube is slightly thin and it appears that the end pieces were hammered on, distorting the ends,  then riveted. The whole thing appears to have been rapidly put together without much attention to detail. 
  Anyway, I had to custom taper the ends of the replacement tube with a grinding wheel so they would fit.  I then fitted the ends on and adjusted them, then drilled the holes for the rivets using a 9/64 inch bit, and Ahmed in the rivets.  I was able to reuse the original rivets.  Now to the powder coater.
John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

Hi John,

That worked out great.  I know mine needs some work mostly because one of the hinges is frozen.  I'm light years from working on these types of details but thanks for posting.  It's good info.  Hopefully will be there sooner or later.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member