• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Oil Pressure

Started by p4jim, April 22, 2013, 07:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

p4jim

Thanks forum for the archives info on oil pump priming.  My rebuilt 30U engine had no oil pressure.  (An ugly feeling)  The archives had an article that is spot on.  I primed the 30U using an opening just above the oil pressure regulator on the left side of the block.  Just removed a pipe plug, filled the oil channel with 1/2 quart of oil, gave it a squirt of air, replaced the plug and wa-la, oil pressure when turning the engine with the starter and without spark plugs.

I told this to a VW guy who was not the least surprised.  He went thru the same thing with his VW.  Only his solution was to fill the oil pump with grease.  That alternative (vasalene) is also in forum archives.

Many, many thanks.  jim

imoore

It is a good idea to prime oil pumps with any liquid. I have used Vaseline, grease or engine oil. Its also good to give the bearings a coating of oil on assembly.
Ehen i re fitted my oil pump on the Q i forgot to prime it. Surprisingly it got oil pressure. I wonder if it has anything to do with type of pump used. Vane or gear.

Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

29plycoop

Gear pumps as a rule are self priming, but to be safe recommend to prime a pump especially if it has some age on it.
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.