• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Steering Wheel Switch Wiring

Started by 29plycoop, March 18, 2009, 01:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29plycoop

THIS WAY! NO THIS WAY!! MAYBE THIS WAY!!! FORUM TO THE RESCUE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:-\ Can you supply the arrangement of the 6 wires to the switch on the end of the steering wheel on my 1929 Plymouth Coupe?  The diagram in the manual shows it as a round switch and in reality they are in a straight line on the switch. Using the terminal closest to the engine as #1 and identify the correct wires that connect from there to the other 5 wires. Thank you for forum and the help. - Rich ;D     
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

chetbrz

Rich,

The steering wheel switch is a good one.  When I rewired my car I rang out that switch with an ohmmeter to determine which post was which.  I regret that I didn't make a diagram and it's been too long a time to remember with any accuracy.   If I ever get my car out of storage this year I will have to go back and diagram that item.  Whether the switch ever had any markings or not.., I am not sure but  I couldn't find any on mine.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29plycoop

;) Hi Chet - Thanks for the fast reply. The past few days the weather here was in the 60s and 70s so had to stay outside and  go through a few projects on the list on the 29 Ply. The steering wheel switch was one of them. I did get the wiring figured out with the aid of an ohm meter. I will add the arrangement of those wires to this posting later. As it turned out one of the (my) problems was it had been some time sense I checked out the headlights with the steering wheel switch,  and forgot the "OFF" position is with the lever straight down, when lever is turned to the right, the the parking lights are light. When the lever is turned to the first notch to the left (from center), the low filaments (running lights) of the head lights and tail light will light. When the lever is turned to the next notch to the left, the high filaments of the head lights and tail lights will light.  (as explained on page 41 of the "Instruction Book" for 1929) The levers on the center of my steering wheel is broken off. Once I woke up and started with the switch in center it went much better. I mention it in case it might help some one else remember.
These numbers are now assigned in order as marked on switch.
The 6 wire connections on top of the switch are from the engine side #1:

• #1= one horn wire (is also the 6 volt from amp meter) and one wire from master cyl. brake switch
    #3= one of three wires from head light  (prk lts. hd. Lt.)
    #2= wire from center of steering column (horn button) and one wire from horn
    #4= 2ed wire from 3  head light wires (Hi Hd. Lts)
    #6= third wire from 3 head light wires. (Lo Hd. Lts)
    #5= one remaining tail light wire.  
The 3 wires from the head lights are: one for parking lights, one for low beam, and one for high beam. An ohm meter will tell which of the 3 wires goes to the proper light.  
Note of interest; The three wires from the right head light are spliced into the three wires from the left head light under the radiator so there are only three wires that go to the switch.  
[/list]
Hope this will help and feel free to add or remove to improve the info. I even went on the first drive of the year this week. Fun! Fun! Fun!  Happy Motoring!!!! Rich    

29 doUg

Okay, my wiring is mildly screwed up. I need to know if this wiring description using "1-6" is using the same numbers stamped on the switch housing. If it is, it aint working for me.

Secondly- I have no second horn wire. My horn wire coming from the column plugs into one of the wires leading to the horn.

Any thoughts?

chetbrz

Doug,

The center wire in the steering column is grounded when you press the horn button.   So this wire is providing the horn with the Plus (+) side of the battery.   The other horn terminal should be going to the Negative side of the battery to complete the circuit.  In the Plymouth diagram this connection is coming from the fuse under the dash, going to the horn, then off to the terminal on the steering wheel switch to complete the path for voltage to your lights.   If the fuse or connections are bad you can connect to any negative path but I would put a fuse in this circuit to protect your wiring.

I am not sure about the numbers, my switch has no numbers or I can't read any ???

Be careful connecting wires in the Plymouth if they are not fused.  You can smoke the wires real quickly.  Use any 10 or 15 Amp fuse to protect your original wiring.

I hope this helps,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29 doUg

Thanks Chet, I'll give it another shot in a few days.

29plycoop

Hi again - I have been out of town and will get some more detailed wiring of the head light/horn switch on my 29 Ply. I am in the middle of pulling the engine to have it bored out and install new rings and etc. I didn't notice any numbers on my switch but didn't really look that hard. Ill check again.  I listed the wiring from the engine block side on across to the other side. I will ohm meter each wire and post the info as soon as I can. HAPPY MOTORING!!!! - Rich

29 doUg

I havent got to mine yet, thanks Rich. Funny you guys dont have numbers stamped; I have two, different venders, and both are stamped 1-6 and not in order.

Doug

You peaked my intreast so I went and looked, On my 30U the switch is numbered. Never noticed this before.

chetbrz

Quote from: Doug on April 19, 2009, 03:26:19 PM
You peaked my intreast so I went and looked, On my 30U the switch is numbered. Never noticed this before.

I will have to take a closer look.  I haven't had the car out of storage since last year.  Unfortunately my day job is really sucking up all my spare time.

Chet...

29plycoop

:o How about that! My light switch has numbers also. Numbers are located on the metal cover just above each terminal. They are not in numerical order. From the engine side of the switch the first one is #1 and from there towards the steering column they read: #1, #3, #2, #4, #6, then #5.  Thanks for the heads up. - Rich :) 

29 doUg

yep, thats the order both of mine have.

marty625y

If you look in your owners manual I think you'll find the wiring diagram shows the numbers for each switch contact and they correspond to the numbers printed on the switch. I'm new to this forum but I've had a 30 Desoto for 30 years and most items on the 2 brands the same including the Clum light switch.
Marty lum

chetbrz

Marty, Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum.  Since there are not many early Plymouths floating around it is always good to know alternate brands that used the same parts.

Do you still have the Desoto ?

Chet...

mopardave

Has anybody found a source for new switches?  Mine is pretty well shot.
All Plymouths: 1928 Q; 1951 P-23; 1966 Sport Fury Convertible; 1975 (Space) Duster; 1999 Prowler