• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

29 to 30U Question

Started by chetbrz, October 20, 2009, 08:29:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

As you guys may know I picked up a rebuilt 30U block with water pump and mechanical fuel pump.  I know the engine will bolt in but I was wondering about the radiator hook ups.  On my 29U the output pipe from the radiator is on the drivers side.  With the 30U setup the water pump input is on the passenger side.

Questions.

Does the 30U have a radiator with an output pipe on the passenger side or is there some type of cross over pipe behind the fan ?  If so a picture would be great.  If I use this engine to putt around in I would certainly want to use the water pump without having to change the radiator.  There appears to be plenty of room to run a crossover pipe ?

Any thoughts ?

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

p4jim

Chet the 30U radiator has two block connections.  One on the upper tank driver side and one on the lower tank passenger side.  I assume the top is hot and the bottom is cooled?  jim

chetbrz

Thanks Jim,

I suspected that the radiator output was on the passenger side in the 30U and up.  Of course I can always remove the water pump and use my 29 head.  If I use this motor I would like to take advantage of the water pump.  My old 29 runs and sounds so much better in cold weather.  The added water circulation would be a definite improvement for summer driving. 

I don't want to replace the radiator so I will just have to think about a clean and neat way to pipe the water over to the pump.

Tks,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29plycoop

::) I have to say that I have not driven any real long distance with my 29 Ply -  Your water pump would be a plus but as I understand if your engine block is clean (roded out and/or boiled out), and radiator has been boiled out and all the coils are clear and straight, an engine with out a water pump will operate just fine.  I have driven mine on some pretty hot days and have had no problems with overheating.  Good luck with either way you decide to go. - Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

p4jim

Chet it seems to me the 29 radiator has more capacity than the 30?  jim

chetbrz

Quote from: 29plycoop on October 25, 2009, 10:31:15 PM
::) I have to say that I have not driven any real long distance with my 29 Ply -  Your water pump would be a plus but as I understand if your engine block is clean (roded out and/or boiled out), and radiator has been boiled out and all the coils are clear and straight, an engine with out a water pump will operate just fine.  I have driven mine on some pretty hot days and have had no problems with overheating.  Good luck with either way you decide to go. - Rich

Rich,

My original motor is probably due for a rebuild which I will do when I get around to restoring this car.   The point being is that I don't see that project starting in the near future.  Anyway spending a weekend dropping in this newly rebuilt 30U motor would keep me on the road for a couple of years until I have the time to do the restore.    Worst case I can eliminate the water pump but it would be nice to use it.  .

Chet...

chetbrz

Quote from: p4jim on October 26, 2009, 12:17:56 AM
Chet it seems to me the 29 radiator has more capacity than the 30?  jim

Jim,

That would make sense.  Since thermal siphon requires water to be boiled out of the engine the water coming into the radiator is hotter then a modern cooling system so you would need a large capacity radiator to allow the water sufficient time to be cooled before it is siphon back into the engine block.   The water pump when combined with a thermostat keeps the block at a relatively constant operating temperature (160 – 210 degrees) which by efficiency allows for a smaller radiator.   Radiators were made even smaller when we went to pressurized cooling systems.   It's all about real-estate.   That's my 2 cents

Chet...