• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

horn button on 28 Q

Started by rwollman, November 12, 2014, 01:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwollman

Hey guys - anyone know or have knowledge of how the horn button comes off on a 28Q?  I have looked thru this site but didn't find any specifics.  Would like to change ground wire for the horn if possible....Thanks in advance for your assistance

imoore

There is a clamp down near the headlight switch. You will have to remove the idle control lever and headlight switch.
The horn button will then slide out of steering coloum.
There is to screws that hold the horn button housing to lever rod.
The button will then come out with the wire attached.
I would connect a dummy wire to the end of horn wire. To aid in fitment of horn wire on instalation
Hope makes sense.
Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

chetbrz

Quote from: imoore on November 14, 2014, 06:26:14 AM
There is a clamp down near the headlight switch. You will have to remove the idle control lever and headlight switch.
The horn button will then slide out of steering coloum.
There is to screws that hold the horn button housing to lever rod.
The button will then come out with the wire attached.
I would connect a dummy wire to the end of horn wire. To aid in fitment of horn wire on instalation
Hope makes sense.
Ian

Ian,  How difficult is it to remove the idle control lever.  Do you have to pull the tube ?

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

rwollman

Thank you very much for the info involving horn button removal.....

frankp

Chet,

The hand throttle and light control tube can be pushed/pulled as a unit towards the headliner after removing clum switch and loosening and removing the clamp on the hand throttle tube.  Be careful if any prying pressure is put on the Bakelite ring next to the steering wheel.  They can crack, break easily (been there.)  My tubes came out reluctantly.  The screws are from the the bottom ring into the top ring.  The rings are the bread, control lever plates the meat, for a poor analogy

Just a few notes to supplement Ian's excellent directions.  I'm guessing the Q is similar to the U.

frank
frank p