• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Lower Radiator Hose Assembly Question

Started by racertb, October 28, 2019, 12:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

Greetings:

Although no issues with running or cooling, I decided to replace all the hoses and clamps on the car.  I recently did the top hose and clamps with no issue, now moving on to the bottom assembly.  This lower assembly hasn't been off in ages and will be cleaned up and re-painted.  Question, the metal hose assembly looks to have a bigger piece at the bottom here added on.  I don't know, but I doubt this is the way it came originally.  Can someone confirm one way or the other?

I used 2 1/8" hose on top with the correct 2-wire clamps.  Going to use the same hose and clamps on the bottom assembly, but had a question about this lower assembly first.

racertb

chetbrz

Good job Ted, 

BTW., my bottom hose doesn't have the metal pipe.  I guess over the years it went the way of the dodo.  I just have a straight hose from the radiator to the motor.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

Looks like the one end of the pipe is brass...I thought this brass end may have been added on but hard to tell/know.  I cleaned it up somewhat and will be repainting.  I think I may need to add some Permatex when I put on the hose ends to fill in some of the pitting.  There were some remnants of Permatex Blue there from before, probably for that reason.

Crazydave

racertb

Thanks Dave...Got it all cleaned up and painted gloss black and will be putting it back together tomorrow or Thursday.  New hose already cut to fit.

racertb

Project complete...will leak test this weekend (At least it looks pretty!)

51Baldeagle

On my 30-31 Plymouth i had that metal pipe, i went with a straight rubber hose, no issues.

Russ T. Fender

I have the metal section on my 30-U thermosyphon system but there is a by-pass running from it to the upper hose.  Car always runs cool but I have no idea what purpose the by-pass is intended to serve.  I have always assumed that was the way it was designed until this thread but based on what I am seeing it looks like the previous owner made that set up for some reason.  Does anyone know what purpose it was intended to serve?

chetbrz

In a thermal syphon system if you had a pipe going from the upper hose to the lower hose you would be mixing the hot expelled water with the cooler intake water. This might help the engine during extremely cold days. Is this bypass able to be turned on and off. 
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Articifer Tom

If you have unidentified holes in cowl on passengers side . It was probable the taps for a cab heater .

Russ T. Fender

No sign of a heater having been installed at any time and there is no shut off.  I bought the car from the original owner and one of the reasons he was selling it was the fact that it had no heater.  He was quite old and his wife was not well so they needed a newer car.  He bought a Plymouth Valiant!

chetbrz

Maybe he tried to install a heater but without a water pump it would not function well.  If at all.

Wow a 30u for a Valiant I bet he got a good bit of use out of the old car.

racertb

Quick update today. Currently at a car show, but spent two hours this morning putting on 2 inch hose replacing the 2 1/8 inch hose. It was tight, but a much better connection.  Everything is good now.  Had to use modern worm clamps for now.  I do need to find, however, the correct 2 wire hose clamps that will fit my 2 inch hose. The other 2 wire clamps are too big now. Interestingly enough, the 2 1/8 hose for the upper radiator connection is perfectly fine.

What would be the correct size 2 wire clamps for the 2" hose?

chetbrz

I'm thinking one size down from the clamps for the 2 1/8 hose.

Tom gave me clamps for the 2 1/8 hose and they are to big for the 2" hose.  You think 1/8 of an inch wouldn't be an issue so there must be a difference with the hose thickness. Very frustrating.