• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Nice Day for a Drive

Started by chetbrz, October 19, 2021, 04:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Articifer Tom

Where they cut to match diameter of inside of brake drums . Most do not have tool to do and can be sanded  also . Arching gives more surface area contact to drums and would prevent vibration .

chetbrz

Tom,

I use the Tool which aligns the new shoes perfectly.  I do file the top and bottom on an angle to eliminate brake noise.  It's quite possible that the return spring wasn't pulling the pad that faces front all the way back.  When I first looked at it prior to changing the spring, the shoe seemed loose.  After replacing the spring the shoe is tight and doesn't move.   I might just put the wheel back on and see if the problem still exists.

Thanks, I'll let you know, Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

chetbrz

Well I checked all adjustments and reinstalled the passenger side wheel.  I think the bad return spring may have caused the rubbing noise which sounded like the drum was out of round.  After removing the wheel I couldn't find anything out of spec except the return spring.  Checked the driver's side wheel and that looked good also. 

I hope to take it out tomorrow for a test drive.  Fingers crossed.   Chet...

BTW... Tom, thanks for the call.., your explanation of Arching was very interesting.  I have always bought stock replacement brake shoes which I assumed were cut and ground for the car I was repairing.  I can now see when having shoes rebounded, the process might require a more critical look at what you are installing. 
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

chetbrz

I took the car out for a test drive and same problem. 

I took my spare front wheel drum to my local NAPA machine shop and they cleaned the drum with a minimum cut.
Picture below.

Spent the rest of the afternoon removing the existing drum.  Had to heat it to persuade it to slip off the wheel hub.  Needless to say this is my worst wheel so the hub also came right out.  Not good since it should be press fitted to the wood spokes.  That's another decision for another day.

Anyway after much inspection of the old drum I found that it wasn't out of round but worn in the center and high on the inner and outer edges.  What was happening was my new perfectly square shoes were only touching on the inner and outer edges with one inner high spot ?  I am going to see if it can be cut square.  It might be to far gone.  We will see.

Now what to do about the old wood wheel. ?? I will have to review some old posts on fixing it or maybe send it out to be re-spoked.

Articifer Tom

Looks good ,Chet .  You may want to put hub back in and soak/ wipe  with RAW linseed oil to swell back .

chetbrz

Quote from: Articifer Tom on October 27, 2021, 08:35:38 PM
Looks good ,Chet .  You may want to put hub back in and soak/ wipe  with RAW linseed oil to swell back .

Raw linsee oil a little pricey. $15 for 8oz.  I know it's the best for the purpose. 

Tks Chet.

Russ T. Fender

While I don't advocate using questionable wood spoke wheels for safety reasons you might try shimming the hub to get a tight fit.  I have done it on Model T wheels to keep the car on the road while my spare wheels were being respoked.  Artillery wheels are much stouter and if the hub just sits snugly in the wood the flange should keep things in place as long as the holes in the spokes for the flange bolts have not worn oversize.  I have wire wheels on my 30-U so I don't know exactly what you are dealing with but I am assuming your wood spoke wheels are basically the same construction as a Model T.

chetbrz

Quote from: Russ T. Fender on October 28, 2021, 08:35:20 PM
While I don't advocate using questionable wood spoke wheels for safety reasons you might try shimming the hub to get a tight fit.  I have done it on Model T wheels to keep the car on the road while my spare wheels were being respoked.  Artillery wheels are much stouter and if the hub just sits snugly in the wood the flange should keep things in place as long as the holes in the spokes for the flange bolts have not worn oversize.  I have wire wheels on my 30-U so I don't know exactly what you are dealing with but I am assuming your wood spoke wheels are basically the same construction as a Model T.

I agree, I'm not a proponent of shimming a wood wheel to compensate for worn spokes.  I have given others similar advise.  Since I got back on the road I have had continuing issues with this wheel which led to replacing the king pins and now the brakes.  I think I am avoiding the inevitable.  Unfortunately I have no spare wheel.  I do have a set of 19" wood wheels which I mistakenly purchased from a 29 owner that had 30U wood wheels on his 29.  My original tire size is 20"   The other issue is that hubs and drums are different front to back. So I would need a spare front wheel.  What a pain.  I'm getting tired of working on this car.  4 or 5 years of work to drive 125 miles only to take it down again for an unknown amount of time.  Last time I checked it was a year or more wait for a wood wheel rebuild?   :-\

Russ T. Fender

Check Stutzman's Wheel Shop Ltd.  They have a web site and are located in Ohio.  Quick turn around, at least for Model T wheels.  Their work is amazing and fairly priced.

Articifer Tom

Wow, Chet, did not realize  that price increase . No wonder paint prices are through roof  . I went and looked at last can i bought . It was $4.49 for 16ozes. .
  There guy at bottom Pa. Chalmer's I believe

chetbrz

Quote from: Articifer Tom on October 29, 2021, 04:17:26 PM
Wow, Chet, did not realize  that price increase . No wonder paint prices are through roof  . I went and looked at last can i bought . It was $4.49 for 16ozes. .
  There guy at bottom Pa. Chalmer's I believe

Yes, He is a 3 hour drive from me.  Tks...

Articifer Tom

Give a call and talk to . Unless your spokes are damage , shrinkage can be handled in different ways . You would be surprise what replacing the hickory's natural oil does for swelling back . Maybe even epoxies could come into filling space . He'll probably want to lay eyes on .  I  am not sure that the hub to spoke contact is that tight to start with . The spokes lock on the sides with the pie shape angle and to the outer ring shoulder .

Russ T. Fender

I believe the wheelwright in PA is Calimers Wheel Shop in Waynesboro.  He does great work but he is expensive and often backed up with work for many months.  He did a set of wheels for my Chalmers-Detroit.  I dropped them off at Hershey and picked them up at Hershey the following year when they were finally ready.  The work was impeccable but pricey and being without the use of the car for a year was a problem.

chetbrz

Russ,

Now you are giving me reason to do some repairs.  The good news is with all the rain here the hub tightened up and hard to move.  Maybe we might try the raw linseed oil and see how much it tightens up. I don't want to wait a year.

chetbrz

I have this recently respoked set of Plymouth 19" wheels (2 Front / 2 Rear ).  Excellent condition. I will however have to buy tires. 
The good thing is that tire selection for the 19" wheels is a lot better than that of the 20" type. 

The tires that are currently on these wheels are ( 6.00-19 6 Ply ) and look larger than my 20" wheels which are ( 4.75/5.00 4 Ply )
They look like truck tires. 

Before I but tires/tubes etc does anyone know of any technical issue with swapping these wheels.  Once this is done If I ever wanted to have the originals redone the work time wouldn't effect moving the car around.  Also the wife likes the wood look better than the painted wheels.