• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Headlight wiring conduit

Started by Russ T. Fender, January 13, 2022, 07:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ T. Fender

Getting ready to rewire and was hoping someone has pictures of the way the original wires to the headlights are set up on the 30-U.  I know they come through the fenders up to the rear of the headlamps but don't know if they are supposed to pass through some kind of wire loom between the fender and the headlight.  Right now there is just three insulated wires taped together running to the headlamps. 

Articifer Tom

Looking at a couple pics . Seems like it is not chrome wire loom ,so must be cloth painted loom . That's whats on my '31 truck .

Russ T. Fender

Thanks, that's what I thought but I am trying to get things as correct as possible and it's not easy given the sparse information available and the very limited number of unmolested cars out there.  I guess I will go with the asphalt coated cloth loom material.

Russ T. Fender

Went out to run the wiring on my 30-U and I can't figure out how the harness runs from the Clum to the headlights and horn.  Anyone have a picture of how it is routed from the engine compartment?

Articifer Tom

Can only tell on mine . Two looms goes forward to where frame and cross radiator support meet , then ducks out site . One loom for right side goes along engine side of radiator support it has metal loops on frame then thur frame along inside to go thur hole at inside fender well up to grommeted hole in fender . Left side typical . you see tabs hook various spots to hold it . I figure with your front mounted horn would go up thur fender at headlight station and travel thur it . my horns on inside .

Russ T. Fender

Thanks for the pictures.  With the engine pans in place there doesn't seem to be much room for the loom to get out of the engine compartment in a way that it wont chafe.  That was what had me concerned about routing the harness.  Hopefully tomorrow I can figure it out with the aid of your pictures.

chetbrz

You can find a number of work projects associated with the wire harness.  Click on the link below.

My Project Files

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Russ T. Fender

Thanks for all the help.  I think I got all the wiring figured out finally.  Tomorrow I'll hook the battery up and see if it all works.  Fingers crossed!

Articifer Tom

Did you find any of the strap tabs ?

Russ T. Fender

I found a number of strap tabs but it seems like there are places where more support for the harness would be advisable, especially where the harness splits and there is a metal plate at the junction.  I may add a few more clips at points where I am concerned about chafing.  Oddly, I found some clips in places that I can't see being used for the harness.

chetbrz

FYI,

I'm sure you are aware of this.  Three wire harnesses come together at the column switch.  The main Harness, the front lights, and the rear lights.  At least that's the setup I received from YnZ.  I also had extra wires for signal lights.  Below is a picture from Crazzydave which shows the stock wiring.  No signal lights.

29 Plymouth Sedan

The wire coming down from the horn bracket is the power to the column switch.

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Russ T. Fender

The picture is helpful but the 30-U harness is different because the horn is on the headlight bar so the harness from the dashboard runs down to the engine pan and splits there.  The point where the harness splits has a metal plate in the harness that keeps the pieces together.  You would think that the plate would be supported somehow but it just kind of hangs over the engine pan. 

Articifer Tom

Here is one of metal junctions . Where did you find extra tabs ?

Russ T. Fender

There are two tabs on the two lower screws holding the plate on the dashboard that is connected to the engine by a rod running from a head stud.  I assume that plate is a dampening plate and possibly used as a ground but I have no clue what it's called.  You can see the clips in the picture. 

29plycoop

This might help from the Technical Info here.
http://www.1948plymouth.info/28Q29U/index.php?topic=440.0
"Headlight Switch Wiring Schematic"
- Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.