• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Driveshaft discs again

Started by Touring29, March 09, 2022, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Touring29

We still don't own the 29 Touring but I am fixing some things on it. The discs are in really bad shape so I am hunting for some. I have found 2 companies that have them or claim to. This one is really expensive and seem to be the wrong thickness although he says they fit. https://www.colletizer.com/store/p72/Universal_Joint_Flex_Disc_and_New_Washers_L373T.html#/

This one has some that are 1/4" thick and are a bit more affordable but thinner than the 5/16 that I have seen here as original equipment. https://www.franklincar.org/forsale/service.html

Does anyone have any other sources?

chetbrz

On the 29 Plymouth there are 5 disks. I believe 3 in the back and two by the transmission.  Search the general board for driveshaft disks.  I'll check when I get home.

FYI these disks were also used on vintage John Deere trackers.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

frankp

Touring 29,
I don't have a source.  Wish I did.  Your old disks remind me of the disks I made for my sedan.  Been in use for many years.  Hope someone can help you.
frank
frank p

Russ T. Fender

I bought mine from Then and Now Automotive.  It was a while ago and I don't recall how much they were but they fit just fine.  I used my old waffle washers.  It takes 5 discs, three in back and two in front.

Touring29

From researching the forum I have pretty much figured out there are 5 discs like has been said. They should be 6" overall 5/16" thick on a 4.625" bolt circle center hole 2 1/4" I put this in here in case someone needs to know. 

Now for the good part. I called Then and Now as was suggested. First good thing they answer their phone. Second they have the dies (he said he made them 40 years ago) and can make the discs. Third thing is they can ship them out in a few days. Fourth is they are $29.99 apiece!

Discs are ordered :) :) :)

Russ T. Fender

I think that was what I paid for them.  The material is not identical to the originals from what I could see but they were spot on otherwise.  I was very satisfied.

Touring29

The original material may not even be available anymore. As long as they take the vibration out and hold up to being drove occasionally I'll be happy. I got it put back together today with the discs that were in it a lot of washers and self locking nuts. It's a lot better but that's only a temporary fix.

Russ T. Fender

You may find that the vibration is still there at some point over 30mph because there's no way to balance the system... you may get lucky but that is what it is, luck.  I seriously considered modernizing the system but decided to give it one more try with new discs.  On my car the vibration kicks in a bit over 35mph and gets pretty noticeable around 40 mph with the new discs but since I rarely go over 35 I plan to stick with the discs for now.  The one concern I have always had with the discs is what would happen if they let go.  If the rear joint lets go the drive shaft could take out the hydraulic brake line and the emergency brake would be inoperable so you'd have no brakes.

Touring29

I think it would be pretty easy and not too expensive to use a front driveshaft design from a 80's GM 4wd. Everything but a couple of 6" plates to bolt the flanges to would be available  at any driveshaft shop.  Like you I want to keep things as original as I can but that would be a option.

racertb

When I had my discs done, there was a gentleman who made them and I think if you do a search you might be able to find it on this site. The material is like a thick conveyor belt material. A tractor supply type of store or someone who deals and antique tractors might have some options.

frankp

Yeah, Ted.  Made mine from tractor PTO belt.  power take off
frank p

Touring29

See post # 4 I found the discs at Then & Now Automotive. I feel like they are priced very reasonably. Now the buckle washers are another thing entirely. I haven't found any. I hope the front has them I haven't taken it apart yet. The rear had 3. How many should I have 18?

Russ T. Fender

My car is in Florida and I am in NY right now but if my memory serves me (unfortunately it often doesn't) there are 24 waffle washers in the rear and 18 in the front.  I was unable to find new ones but had enough usable ones from a few sets of used universal discs I had picked up over the years.  I may have some left over that you can have but they would be in Florida and I probably won't be back there until November at the earliest.

Touring29

I may take you up on it when you go. Until then I will use what I can find and flat washers for the rest if they are about the same thickness. There is a antique car swap meet about 90 miles from me next weekend. I'm going to try to make it and see what I find.

Russ T. Fender

Lots of cars used the discs over a number of years so you can sometimes find the waffle washers at swap meets.  I picked mine up at Hershey years ago.