• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

29 Ply Coupe Upholstery Progress

Started by 29plycoop, January 23, 2014, 01:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

29plycoop

Thank you for all the info sent to my prior request for photos and dimensions of the original upholstery in your cars. With your help I have made some progress on the interior of my Plymouth. Here are a few photos for reference and the progress made so far. the seat springs are original in case you want to see them for reference.  I decided to put a door pocket on each side. The seat cushions came out pretty good with 4 inch pleats. To get 4 inch width pleats to work out they were laid out with 4 1/4 inch spacing before sewing. Next project is to mount the pockets in the door panels. Oh,the headliner and windlass for around the doors is made up ready for instillation. Will be waiting for warm weather for paint and then will install the interior. The way this weather is going around here, ZERO tonight, it might be awhile. Before the cold weather hit last fall I managed to strip and prime the wood wheels. They have to be finished also. As they were still very solid, after striping and cleaning the spokes gave them about 10-12 coats of linseed oil. Shot a coat of self etching primer on the rims and set them aside for spring. Thanks again. HAPPY MOTORING!!!! Rich
Let's see how the photos go. 
photos size to big so will add them next. 
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

SteveG

29plycoop

Here is the finish upholstery photo of the '29 Coupe seat with buttons. Wood spokes on wheels next

frankp

Class A work!!  Will you be painting wheels body color or leave natural?  frank
frank p

29plycoop

Thanks for the kind words. My understanding is for that model year the wood spokes were painted. If the first wheel finishes well as natural wood that is my preference. We will see how it goes.

frankp

You're correct, 28 & 29 were painted and unpainted became an additional cost option in 1930, so I've been told.

They will look good in a natural finish.  I used several coats of spar varnish which gives a bit of a mellow, yellow glow (my apologies to Donovan).  After many years, I've decided to paint mine to take it to original build.

The hub is blue even though it looks black.  frank
frank p

29plycoop

Nice job on the wheels. This photo will be a good reference when I start on mine.