• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Need Some Advise

Started by chetbrz, June 16, 2017, 10:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

After removing the wood which the previous owner installed I am puzzled about how the front door hinges attach to the car.  Below is a picture of the passenger side area before removing the wood.  Besides the metal brackets there is a steel face piece that I believe goes on over the hinges but maybe this is incorrect.

Here is a picture of the passenger side hinge slots with the wood removed.  It appears that the frame was cut with a hack saw and the previous owner flattened the flange in the hinge area. Maybe because the doors wouldn't align properly.

Can someone please advise or provide pictures of an unmolested hinge mount.

Many Thanks in advance...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29UJohn

Chet,
On the front doors the door hinge plates go between the metal face plate and the wood pillar. For this reason the wood pillar and body are recessed for the hinges.  The holes for the front hinges are threaded for machine screws.
I am out of town this week so cannot send a picture till next week.
John
1929U 4 Dr

chetbrz

Thanks John,

I thought I might be missing something.  A picture of the center hinge mounting would be beneficial to get a clear understanding of how the hinges sit and how they are recessed.  If possible a picture of the bottom of the hinge pillar would be nice also.  There should be a metal 'L' bracket holding the bottom of the hinge pillar in place. 

All this begs the question.., are the rear doors bolted through the wood or did they use wood screws.  I can accommodate either or.  Through bolts sound a lot stronger.

Many Thanks for all your help,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29UJohn

As I recall, each of the rear door hinges have one machine bolt through and two wood screws. 
For my machine screws, I set the nuts in place so they would not move with JB weld an a small nail or two, that way I can tighten them if ever needed, or even remove them if necessary.
John
1929U 4 Dr