• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Timing Gear

Started by seasand, August 15, 2017, 08:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seasand

My timing gear is cracked and teeth are striped. I need to replace it. Does anyone know where I can get one? I know that the Ford Model As have aluminum gears as a retrofit. Are they available for our Plymouths? Also any advice on changing it out would be appreciated. George

frankp

frank p

29UJohn

Ask to speak to Tom Hannaford when you call.  He had some made for or Plymouth's a while back. Be sure they have been modified to ensure the gear will not spin on the heb.

Vintage Auto Parts also lists them for 28-32 Plymouths for $198.75
http://www.vapinc.com/

The only way I know to change it is to pull the engine, remove the valves and oil pump and pull the camshaft out, then take it to a machine shop to carefully have it pulled off.  Stay with it, as it is hard to get behind the gear to remove it and the shop broke the bearing flange removing mine a few years back.
John
1929U 4 Dr

bobnroman

you can get the timing gear off with a puller     groves in hub    I have one of the old hanaford gears that have been pinned I think his new ones are two pieces     may be new pullable   I just bought a good quality one from supplier he may have one more      expensive

bobnroman

I have a timing gear                       bobnroman@yahoo.com