• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Model Q Body number plate

Started by mopardave, December 04, 2008, 07:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopardave

The body number plate is missing on my '28.  I have the number thanks to the research I did, but I don't know what it looks like.  Is there anybody out there than can send me a clear photo of what the plate looks like and the exact location to mount it?  You can post here or e-mail to me at mopardave@aol.com Thanks
All Plymouths: 1928 Q; 1951 P-23; 1966 Sport Fury Convertible; 1975 (Space) Duster; 1999 Prowler

29 doUg

chetbrz

Dave,

The body number plate I believe is on the floor on the Driver's side.  I will take a picture and post it.  Flat stamped metal plate.

The medallion that 29 doUg posted is the build number.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

mopardave

Thanks Chet, I have the VIN medallion on the dash.  You are correct, I am looking for the body number plate that is mounted on the floor and the exact location for it.
All Plymouths: 1928 Q; 1951 P-23; 1966 Sport Fury Convertible; 1975 (Space) Duster; 1999 Prowler

chetbrz

Quote from: mopardave on December 05, 2008, 02:32:21 PM
Thanks Chet, I have the VIN medallion on the dash.  You are correct, I am looking for the body number plate that is mounted on the floor and the exact location for it.

Dave,

My car is a 29 and I am not 100% sure this is the original body plate but it appears to be so.

The plate states on the Left side:

HAYES BODY CORP.
GRAND RAPIDS
MICH.

It is mounted on the driver's side.  Here again the floor has been redone at some point so I don't know if this is the exact spot it was mounted from the factory.

I hope this helps you some.  It should be a pretty easy plate to duplicate.  Also I think it is copper.

Does anyone else have a similar plate ?

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

mopardave

Thanks Chet.  I hate to trouble you again, can you give me the length and width?

29 doUg

Man, do I feel stupid! Sorry Dave, I have FedCo tags on my mind!

The BODY tag on my '29 is located a few inches inside the A-pillar and door opening, driver's side. It measures 4" x 7/8".

chetbrz

Doug,

Is your tag copper ?

Dave,

On Sunday I could make a tracing and mail it to you.  It might be helpful if you are fabracating a tag.

Chet...

mopardave

Thanks Chet.  I would appreciate that.  I have been meaning to do this for years.....it just reached the top of my "to do" list!

29 doUg

Chet-- I took some steel wool to it, it is brass.

Satillite70

Hi Guys,
    If I recall correctly mine appeared to be made of Aluminum, it definately has NOT been removed from the body, and is located on the passengers side of the body in about the same location as your.  Perhaps this was a Canadian only thing?  The only photo I could find on the PC of this is attached below, really only shows the location of the tag, can barely make out it's silvery color. If the car were not currently tucked into the corner of the garage I'd go take a photo, but I haven't had time to move stuff around yet, having just spent my 9 day vacation working on the garage.

I was working on pouring a new 6" floor in half of the garage and pouring a massive comcrete base for a two post hoist and 725 ft of tubing for in floor heating, only after breaking up the old 3" slab and hauling over 200 wheelbarrows of rubble and dirt over the back hill.... needless to say work is now feeling like a vacation!

Also of interest I was sent an article by a fellow I met a few months ago at an antique car show/flea market in Sussex NB.  Bill Snowden owns a 1927 Dodge, and after restoring it drove the car from NB to the west coast, down into the US and back again!  The article he sent me is in two parts from the March and April 1977 Issuse of Cars & Parts.  Not sure if I want to post it here due to copywright laws and such, but it details the beginings of Plymouth and the 28Q-29U as well it has photos of the cars and inside the plants of the production line.  He also included a list of production numbers for Canadian Cars, which if I read it correctly puts mine nearer the end of first year production. [ GP349R ]

Chris Osborne
Saint John, New Brunswick
1928 Plymouth Q
1970 Plymouth Satellite
2005 Ram Daytona

chetbrz

Quote from: chetbrz on December 06, 2008, 08:22:46 AM

Dave,

On Sunday I could make a tracing and mail it to you.  It might be helpful if you are fabracating a tag.

Chet...

Dave,

Sorry I never got this done.  I am heading over to the storage facility today so I will email you a scan.  This should be better then a tracing.

Chet...

mopardave

Thanks Chet.  Like I said no hurry.  I can't get to my car for another month anyway.  Lots of snow this year.