• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Roof construction for the 28/29

Started by chetbrz, September 10, 2009, 09:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

I have been collecting information concerning the wood structures for the 29 Plymouth.  I have yet to get a good understanding of how the original wood framing was constructed for the roof and inner body.  I founded this picture of a car that is for sale on eBay and the picture is of the roof looking from the drivers side door.

It looks to me like the original construction especially with the burlap batting.  Can anyone confirm that this picture is of the original roof construction for the 1929 Plymouth.  Also can anyone confirm how the woods are fastened together ?   Also is there any arc to the roof or is it totally flat ?

Tks,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29 doUg

I checked my 1928-33 Plymouth Master Parts List and found the following:

For the U, there is a header number listed.

There are left/right driprail numbers listed.

The top canvas has a part number listed.

There are seven bows listed, all with different part numbers. This makes sense how as the body shell has a curvature and has different widths. Naturally, it makes no mention if the bows are curved or not. (My opinion is that they are curved, looking at mine shows a distinct arch. I also believe that most everything built up to the mid-twenties had a true flat top, after had the bubble top like our's-- just a guess.)

Because there is NO listing for the north/south slats/struts/whatever in the catalog, was it ordinary (oak?) wood. This means that any old straight 1" x 4" (?) would suffice. Cut to fit. If they were special, there would be numbers for them. Because they are so long, they have some give to bow a little as evidenced in a side view.

Another opinion is that this whole set-up was nailed together. My finish molding on the back and driprails are nailed.

chetbrz

Hello all,

I found another picture of the 1929's roof construction on ePay today.  It appears from the picture that as Doug explained the end bows have a slight arc to them as opposed to the front or middle bows.  I am just looking for other opinions or the best case, an actual template.  What say ye...

Chet...

http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member