• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

it runs

Started by Rusty, September 18, 2009, 09:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

I lost the key at the auction house and they have not sent it yet, so I hot wired her.  Not that hard.  I started right up.  I am not used to  20's era cars, they have a lot of noise, mainly tappets.  The oil pressure when to 60 psi then dropped to 30's once hot.  I have  no idea if rebuild but planning on pulling the pan this weekend.  I had filled the radiator up to the top of which it started to blow off the extra.  I only went a few miles as the lack of brakes (except parking) was a factor.  What temp should the radiator be at once hot?   I have a infrared temp gun that I plan on using.  If the rad was block, I would guess the temp would be higger??  rusty

chetbrz

Rusty,

If you have the original engine in your 29 there is no water pump.  It is a thermal-siphon system.  What that means is basically the water is boiled out of the block and cool water is restored from the large radiator.   It actually works just fine.  Since heat expands the bottom line is that the system will boil off excess water until it has the working amount left in the radiator.  If you refill it will just boil the excess off.   Once it finds its own level it works fine even on extremely hot days. 

When the car is running the top section of the radiator will be hot and the bottom below the fan cool to warm

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member