• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

missing electric parts

Started by Rusty, September 20, 2009, 08:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

I have been looking at photos of people engines and it appears I am missing things.  I have a bell crank on the passenger side of the engine but seem to be missing the linkage on either side.  I think I am also missing parts for the steeering wheel levers.  Could someone post a photo of the steering box area?  I have the levers on the center of the steering wheel but what they control is my problem?  thanks

chetbrz

Rusty,

The bottom levers control a switch which is supposed to control your High & Low headlights and park lights.  The top lever is an engine idle adjustment.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Rusty

Is this correct?  One of the switches on the steering wheel  rotates and pulls a lever at the end of the steering gear which is connected by a rod to the bell crank on the side of the block which in turn pulls a lrod forward which pulls the on the linkage that is connected to the gas pedal as if the pedal is pushed down which then speeds up the engine.  I am missing most of this so this my best guess.  I am still working on the head light hi/low issue.

29 doUg

You got it, Rusty. The lever at the top is for the throttle, its used when starting the old girl up since your foot is on the starter switch. The bottom lever, turned to 5 o'clock, turns on the parklamps (if so equipped). Switch it to 7 o'clock and you get low beam and p/lamps and at 8 o'clock, you get high beams and p/lamps.

You may find some pics from my album that will help. Click on the image and then click on "full screen" to get a decent look.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/567316702mCIufh

Rusty

thanks.  I do not know why mine is missing but the rods should be easy to replace.  The bell crank would be the hard to locate part  but that, I have.  The photos help.

29plycoop

;D Hi Rusty!  My '29 Plymouth coupe has the levers missing in the center of the steering wheel also. My guess is those parts will have to be reproduced as the metal the originals were made of does not hold up and the lightest pressure breaks them off. My engine is being overhauled so can not help with photos of the linkage at this time. Finding parts is part of the fun.  Welcome to the forum. - Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

Rusty

I have the levers on the steering wheel but I am missing the linkage that they control.  I can see that the levers would be easy to break.  How would get those levers off anyway?

29plycoop

PUT !PUT-PUT !!PUT-PUT-PUT !!!!Scott-
Nice car! :o Was wondering if you can post a close-up photo of the levers on your steering wheel? Some dimensions as to length and height would be great. A winter project may be to reproduce them. The engine is out of my car but will see if I can get photos of the linkage tomorrow. Happy Motoring!!!!  - Rich 

29plycoop

Rusty-
Here are a few photos of the linkage from the light switch at the steering wheel. They are hanging in mid air with a wire and cardboard behind it. (engine is out) sorry for the dirt at the switch. When I get the engine back maybe more photos then with linkage installed. This waiting stinks! Hope this helps. - Rich

29plycoop

Rusty- Here is the linkage photo.