• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

luggage rack

Started by Rusty, January 11, 2010, 08:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

Were luggage racks a option or aftermarket?  Would a Model A ford rack fit without major surgury?  I found a trunk at a auction and would like to use it if possible.  Could someone post photos  on the rack and how it is mounted?  Is the spare tire mounted on the outside of the trunk?
rusty

chetbrz

Rusty,

According to the 1928 to 33 Plymouth Master Parts List the trunk option was not offered until the PA model and the Top Opening Trunk would work with side mounted wheels.  The earliest reference was for the PA Deluxe Sedan and Phaeton.  Part Number 350374.

I would think the trunk with the rear mounted tire might be a problem.  Please let us know if you find anything that might work.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Rusty

What I was thinking is to buy a  repro model A luggage rack and make brakets to mount it.  I have not worked out the spare tire issue.  On ebay, there is a few  luggage racks (mainly model T and A's) that are a expanded metal that may fit a lot of other cars.  They are cheap and would just need a good sandblasting and painting.  I may be getting ahead of myself as the block has not returned from the shop as it is getting overbored 40.
rusty

chetbrz

I think the problem you will encounter is not so much finding a bracket that will fit but the question is what to do with the spare tire.   If you leave it in the back I think the trunk would hang out over the rear bumper and that might not look right.  I'm not sure ?

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Rusty

I found a site that makes brackets for Model A luggage racks and they do(did) make a long bracket that would put the trunk out past the spare tire.  I think it would work with some modification to the brackets for our cars but I think you are right, it would not look "right" .  Which is better, trunk or spare tire?  rusty

chetbrz

I think you have come across the infamous "chicken before the egg problem".   If you plan to take a long road trip the trunk would be very convenient then again for a long road trip the spare tire would also be a must. 

What a dilemma, let me know what you decide because I have also toyed with the idea of putting a trunk on the back.  I guess you could just carry a new inner tube and the split rim tool in case of a flat.

Chet...

Doug

I have a 30 Model A roadster here with the trunk. It's mounting holes and brackets are no where close to fitting my Plymouth 30U. I am working on making my own trunk mount but paying the bills has gotten in the way of that.

Doug

I have been looking at the Plymouth and Ford today between doing my work and the big differance is the Plymouth has the gas tank in the back and the Ford is in the front, so Ford just stuck the rack on the frame. The Plymouth will have to have brackets that go around the back of the tank

Rusty

That makes sense.  This may be a bigger project than I want to start
rusty

Coreyv

I have a 1931 u with factory side mount tire mounts and it has the luggage rack. it bolts to the tank cover.  I have never seen another like it.

Doug

Can You post a picture of it. Close up. I have only seen old adds  and you really cant' tell how it mounts. Thanks

Coreyv

Yes,  give me a couple of days and I will post