• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Cheers

Started by Fendermender, June 17, 2010, 10:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fendermender

Hello everyone.
My Name is Emery and I am new to the forum as you will already have guessed.
I'm hoping to get some information on restoring a 1929 Plymouth Model U 4dr sedan.

Having said that, I am a retired major collision technician and have retored some later model cars and trucks. So, I may be able to
help others in whatever way I can.

The Plymouth's structural integrety depends on the wood frame work which is almost non exsistant on this car.
If anyone can shed some light as to where I might get pictures,measurements or even some kind of kit for the roof rails it would be nice.

I am handy with wood and have the nessesary equipment but its hard to copy "air"

Thank you for allowing me to join this forum and I wish you all well and good luck on your projects.
If I can help please don't hesitate to ask.
Thank you again.

Emery

1929luv

emery where do youlive i have some wood left from the one Im restoring some where but have some pictures to. All the wood was replaced by a wood man in my area in TX let me know Good luck Craig

Fendermender

Hello Craig;
I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
I really am stuck on this one. Just about been everywhere looking for pictures or measurements.

If you could help it would be great.
Please let me know what you need.
Thanks ,
Emery
Sorry edited for e-mail addy   emery9@telus.net

chetbrz

Quote from: Fendermender on June 18, 2010, 12:33:09 AM
I really am stuck on this one. Just about been everywhere looking for pictures or measurements.

Emery,  Check out this post on this site:

http://www.1948plymouth.info/28Q29U/index.php?topic=254.msg1018#msg1018

I have the dementions and additional pictures somewhere, Will have to dig them up.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

chetbrz

This is what I can gather from my notes.  I measured an original 29 roof at a recent POC meet in Maryland.  Unfortunately I scribbled the info down and hadn't looked at it since but this is what I can definitively tell you:

There are 15 Slats and 9 Bows

15 Slats @ ¼" x 1 ¾ " x Length needed. 

9 Bows @ ½" x 7/8" x Length needed.

The bows I would make 7/8" at the ends and 1 - 1/8" in the center but the original front bow measured 7/8" side and middle.  Please be advised that I couldn't get into the rear of the car to measure and the flat bow was the first one off the windshield.  It appeared to me that there was more of a curve to the roof the further to the rear you looked.  Not much, but slight.  I had planned to check the rear of my car for curvature and taper that down to flat as I approached the windshield.  Thus making the last two closest bows to the windshield 7/8" side, middle, and end.  The picture below was not the car I measured.  I will have to dig those up.

]

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member