• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Wood kits?

Started by ski, September 03, 2007, 01:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ski

Does anyone know of an outfit that sells wood kits to replace the structural wood framing in a 29U coupe? The floor & trunk panels look easy and I was going to use marine plywood.  The curved pieces like under the trunk lid and behind the seam at the roof line may be a little tricky.  I was also wondering about the possibility of using metal.

chetbrz

If you find someone who has wood kits I would certainly be interested.   When my 48 is completed I will be retiring the 29 to restore the wood framing.   I like working with wood so the project would be fun for me but having an original assembly drawing of the 29 Plymouth would be a big help.  If you find any information on the body substructure please drop me an email.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

chalten

wood kits? that sounds like a lot of money savings. the wood of my ply was totally destroyed by whatever you call those little wood eaters that I really hate for many green reasons (yes dollars, it all ends in monies). I can show you some pics of how mine is being restored. Not me but a old carpenter who takes his time, a lot of time... probably it will not help you to do the project but can give some rough idea. basically what we did is to start dissasembling the car in stages. each stage had to be a full wooden part in order to be able to copy it exactly without tearing it or breaking it. this takes time, but not withholding a blue print I guess it is the only way to do it. and yes if you don't do it yourself it costs money. also if you want to use the same wood, which for you in the north I would encourage, it will surely increase cost. remember that the wood was used to give structural strength to the car, so use good wood or else you will have to do it again. I was not able to get the same one, not sure what the english name is, if at all I found it, it would have cost a fortune as it is imported because we have none of those trees around.

I can try to post the pics but I will not be able to do it for a week or so as I am now on the road.

cheers!

chetbrz

Thanks Carlton,

I am very interested in anyone who is venturing into this area.  Car guys tend to shy away from wood work.  Personally I find it easier to work with wood then steel.  I am very interested in what you are doing so please post pictures when you have the time.

Good luck with this project.  It may take some time but the end result will be well worth the time and effort.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member