• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Optima 6V Battery

Started by racertb, October 29, 2015, 11:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

racertb

Does anyone use or thought about using an Optima 6V battery?  They are rated at 800 CCA and 1000 CA...they've got to be better than the "normal" 6V batteries out there.

Thoughts?

chetbrz

I use a good 6vdc Tractor battery from NAPA.   I have had them for a number of years without issues but do keep them on a maintenance charger over the winter.   I think the most important thing with these 6vdc systems is to ensure that you have the right battery wires to match the additional current needed in a 6vdc system to produce the same amount of work (watts). 

Although I have not used the Optima many folks I know swear by them. 

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

Thanks...

I currently use a 6v farm and tractor battery from Advance and since it's still under it's free replacement warranty, I think I'll go try another one.  I can't remember what size cables I currently have, but they're 1 or 2 gauge. After the warranty runs out on the next battery, I'm may try the Optima.

Russ T. Fender

I have had one in my car for 6 years so far.  All I do is keep it  charged on a maintenance trickle charger.

racertb

I forgot to mention that I use a trickle charger as well, but I think the battery may be bad.  I've had them last a few years before this most recent one.

Old Man

Just about all the problems owners have with their 6 volt systems come from talking "voltage" instead of "current". The old mechanics never tested for voltage they always talked to me about current. In fact old "tar" topped batteries had exposed connectors that mechanics placed a forked device with an ammeter on it  to check if an individual cell would produce enough current. They didn't check voltage. Didn't care. What does this mean to us. We need to talk current just like they did. We have to have the lowest possible resistance materials to take the current. We have to keep connectors clean and I recommend internal tooth star washers on every connector not ordinary split washers. I too use tractor batteries and have for 40 years. I never get less than 10 years out of them and some times 12. And yes keep a trickle charger on them or charge them with a regular charger once a month through the Winter. I do the latter. And keep them in an unheated building on a shelf. Do not keep them in your heated shop. In an unheated "Winter" room they will self discharge about 1% per month. In your heated shop about 50% per month./