• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

Windshield wipper assy.

Started by chetbrz, September 04, 2017, 12:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chetbrz

Whenever I finish this car it will have to go through a one time inspection and before I can get a Delaware registration the car will have to have a working windshield wiper.  I have collect possible solutions over the years but I am not sure if any of them will work OK.  I have two Trico motors used on phantom cars which had exterior mounts.   Neither work so before I waste time and money I was wondering if anyone has a solution to the wiper assembly issue.  I was told the one I had on the car couldn't be fixed ?? I am not even sure if it is correct for the car ??

Any advise would be appreciated.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Crazydave

"ยง 4310 Windshield wiper.

Every windshield on a motor vehicle shall be equipped with a device for cleaning rain, snow or other moisture from the windshield. The device shall be so constructed as to be controlled or operated by the driver of the vehicle."

Doesn't say how, just that it has to be controlled by the driver. Is there an easy way to rig it up to manually manipulate like some other earlier cars? Just to pass? I doubt the inspectors could tell you what year they moved to vacuum or electric operation.

I'm sure glad I don't have to deal with that bullshit. I registered the plate, once and done. They don't even look at the car. Could roll it right out of a barn, no brakes etc. and it would be up to the cop to get you.

chetbrz

I hear you Dave.

Virginia is the same way.  You sign a statement saying that you are responsible for maintaining the car to the minimum factory specifications representing the model year the car was manufactured.  They never look at the car.  Delaware on the other hand is a bit more strict about verifying titles and basic equipment.  They don't require much, but at least one windshield wiper - working, headlights & taillights, horn, & brakes.  After that you are on your own.  This is of course if you want to drive on county roads.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Articifer Tom

Did you try to fix yours . IE .take it a part look at inside . Model A use the same type KSB I think and make rebuilds kits cheap enough just to try out .

chetbrz

I'll have to post some pictures of the one that was on my car and the others I have picked up here and there.  The one from my car is nothing like the Model A motor and I don't know if it is original. 

29UJohn

My wiper motor was just a standard Trico vacuum wiper motor.  I tried to rebuild it but was successful.  I think i bought a new one from JC Whitney in the late 1970s. It fit exactly, the only difference was the new motor has a small lever where you could attache an on-off pull-push handle, but that feature is not used on our Plymouth.  The Master Parts List does not show a part number, but has a note that states the wiper motor is serviced by Trico.
John
1929U 4 Dr

Articifer Tom

chetbrz

Thanks John & Tom,

I have a couple of these Trico motors.  The motor that was on my car is much different and I believe it also was a Trico.  I sent a picture to Ficken Wiper Service and he said he wouldn't touch it and couldn't guarantee a repair.   

Unfortunately at the moment I don't know where I put the motor.  I reinstalled the tubing for the vacuum motor and ran two wires up the passenger side door frame to the roof so my immediate issue is resolved.  Installing the actual motor is many months from now.  When I get back to this or when I find my old motor I'll post a picture.  The one that was on my car was a rectangular box.

Chet...

29UJohn

There is an excellent article on Trico wiper vacuum motors in the January 2017 issue of Skinned Knuckles.
John
1929U 4 Dr