• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

of Door Locks and Outside Handles

Started by 29UJohn, June 12, 2016, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29UJohn

I had my outside door handles and escutcheons chrome plated.  When I went to put them back together I noticed the handles do not sit all the way into the escutcheons - I guess the chrome plating made them too thick.  Question - the handles should sit all the way into the escutcheon sockets, correct?

When re-assembling, the spring sits on the inner part of the escutcheon - correct?

Also - Most every old Plymouth I have seen has at least one outside door handle that sags.  Has anyone ever tried to repair a door latch with a weak spring?
John
1929U 4 Dr

Gary 30U

Hi John,

Two things here: First  the spring is supposed to go behind the door panel, not behind the escutcheon. If you put it behind hte escutcheon you create a space between the door handle and the door panel. the purpose of the spring is to hold the door panel out and make a good fit with the door handle and escutcheon.

Second, Yes I did try to fix the dropped handle with a stronger spring.  Mind you mine is a 30U, but still the same.
Don't do it, my handles are to hard to turn. Most people go up to my car and tell me the doors are locked. Someday I will take the panels and locks out and replace the tough spring. I have a collection of springs so can replace with originals. When you look closely the holes in my lock mechanism are just facing down slightly.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Gary R., Happy Motoring

29UJohn

John
1929U 4 Dr