Author Topic: 1929 Plymouth Ignition Coil Testing Info  (Read 168 times)

29plycoop

• FOUNDING MEMBER
  • Senior Forum Member
  • HAPPY MOTORING !!!!
    • View Profile
1929 Plymouth Ignition Coil Testing Info
« on: August 22, 2019, 05:39:41 AM »
Came across a N.O.S. ignition coil that I think is correct for a '29 Ply. There is no signs that it has ever been bolted in to use. It has the DELCO REMY logo on top and two terminals on top, + plus and - minus and the tower for the distributor cap. Has the three mounting holes on the switch end. Will attempt to attach photos to help. There is no damage that is visible so I am assuming it should be good.
In trying to test it with an oam meter across the primary terminals (+ and _ ) and shows no reading and the tower to minus terminal shows 3.21.
The question in my mind is - the key switch not being inserted what is the correct way to test this style of coil ?
Thanks for any info . Rich
Plymouth and inovation go hand in hand.

Crazydave

• Senior Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1929 Plymouth Ignition Coil Testing Info
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 12:47:00 AM »
Read reply #38

http://www.1948plymouth.info/28Q29U/index.php?topic=811.msg5609#msg5609

Has my readings and results when I was trying to figure it out. Has pictures of the key assembly, from the looks of it and what I remember the key "ON" connects the conductors on the top allowing it spark.

chetbrz

• POC MEMBER
  • Senior Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • My Space on the Web
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 05:36:35 AM »
Rich,

At the base of that coil are the contact points for the switch.  The terminals you are testing across are interrupted by the base contact points.  You either need the switch assembly or use a continuity tester to determine which points need to be connected together to allow the coil to work properly.  You need to close the switch or simulate the close.  Do you have the rest of the key switch.

Look at Dave's pictures

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29plycoop

• FOUNDING MEMBER
  • Senior Forum Member
  • HAPPY MOTORING !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 04:10:05 AM »
Chet: I would be interested in finding a usable key switch assembly that will fit this coil. Any leads are appreciated.  Thanks Rich

chetbrz

• POC MEMBER
  • Senior Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • My Space on the Web
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 02:17:02 PM »
Chet: I would be interested in finding a usable key switch assembly that will fit this coil. Any leads are appreciated.  Thanks Rich

I hate to say this but finding one of these might be a long frustrating journey.  Iíll keep an eye out.

Good luck, Chet
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

29plycoop

• FOUNDING MEMBER
  • Senior Forum Member
  • HAPPY MOTORING !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 11:28:05 PM »
CHET- Thanks for the reply and watching for a switch. My guess is you are right that a switch assy will be hard to come by. If the posibility is out there this forum I fell is the best place to try. Rich

hursst

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 01:19:18 AM »
Rich,
   I may be able to help.  I believe I have an extra coil/ignition that I tried to get working, and did get working for a few hours, but I think the coil may have given up, so I gave up.  Let me see if I can dig it out of my parts pile tomorrow and see what I have and get back to you.

-Chris

29plycoop

• FOUNDING MEMBER
  • Senior Forum Member
  • HAPPY MOTORING !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 04:42:49 AM »
Chris- Thanks for the reply on the coil switch assembly. Please let me know details if you come up with the switch.  The coil you have does not have to be good as I am trying to see if a coil I have is good and need a switch for it as it does not have one. Rich

chetbrz

• POC MEMBER
  • Senior Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • My Space on the Web
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 01:09:54 PM »
Here's one maybe . https://www.ebay.com/itm/1929-DeSoto-Chrysler-Dodge-Plymouth-Vintage-Ignition-Coil-Switch-Delco-Remy/223468539708

The 29 is oval shaped. It wonít fit the Dash hole in the 29.   Iím not sure what car it does fit.

hursst

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 01:51:31 AM »
Rich,
   Sent you an email with a photo, not sure if you got it.  Also, I believe my switch parts to be from 1930, so not sure if these will work fully with your '29, but the coil looks exactly the same from what I can tell.

Chris