Author Topic: Road side of the wood Floor 28/29  (Read 84 times)

chetbrz

• POC MEMBER
  • Senior Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • My Space on the Web
Road side of the wood Floor 28/29
« on: November 27, 2019, 06:47:41 PM »
I was just wondering what if any protection was applied to the roadside of the wood flooring in the 28/29 cars.

Originally:
  • Was there any weather treatment ?
  • Was there any metal skins especially over the emergency brake area ?
  • What about the front kick panel. Just wood ?
  • For those that have replaced the floor what if anything did you apply to the road side of the floor ?
The roads were pretty rough back in the late 20's early 30's so I was just wondering how this was addressed from the manufacturing standpoint.
Anyone know or have a theory ?  I don't have a clue.

With the wife cooking pies and other treats for turkey day and storing them in the cool garage, I have been temporarily evicted for the holidays. 
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

racertb

• Senior Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Road side of the wood Floor 28/29
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 12:01:15 AM »
Chet, my wood floor is just painted black, not sure if that's the way it was originally built. There's no other protection or metal underneath on my car.

Russ T. Fender

• Senior Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 02:37:06 AM »
I have a few original early cars and none of them have any protective covering other than a light wash of black paint.  They may have been treated with some type of preservative from the factory but there is no way to tell.  My 30-U floorboards are bare wood that is now well preserved with grease and oil.  I plan to replace them and will treat them with Cuprinol and paint them black.

chetbrz

• POC MEMBER
  • Senior Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • My Space on the Web
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 03:57:57 PM »
Sounds good, just wondering. I guess these cars are the final transition from wood carriage to modern automobile.

Soon driverless electric cars.
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member