• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

1929 4-door Plymouth value

Started by JAB53, September 17, 2008, 06:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAB53

I am considering purchase of a 1929 Plymouth 4 door that is rust free, everything works, body, paint, and interior original and in decent shape. I don't know much about this car as far as history or rarity. What would be an approximate value to offer on this vehicle in the Ohio area?

chetbrz

Hi and welcome to this forum,

The question you asked depends on a number of things and without pictures it is very had to estimate a price.  All I can tell you is that I purchased my 29 4 door for about 6K with original motor and a transmission that needed to be fixed with brakes that were not working and missing a lot of original parts.  I was looking for this type of car because I love Plymouths and am very happy with my current result.  I have over the last two years made this car road worthy.  If I sold it today I would be looking in the 8K to 10K area.

See photo below...

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Satillite70

Chet is right.  I know a fellow nearby that paid 7500 a few years ago for one and his needed a couple thousand worth of work. I paid 5K for my 28Q 4door and I am only the third owner, but it needed alot of tlc, though it was almost 100% intact.

I have spent about $3500 on upholstery, gaskets, brake seals, etc. > so about $8500 is what I have into mine.
Only difference is that I wouldn't part with it for less than a millon bucks!  ...and no I'm not joking!  Either that, or 6 feet of dirt over my head might seperate us for a while...

Chris Osborne

p4jim

jab53

I bought a 30U last year in running condition thru ebay.  It had several problems and I'm sure it must have sat for years. It has taken a year because I only work on it when I feel like it.  It is not a beauty but only car people seem to see the dings and from 25 feet looks fine.   It starts easily every time.  And idles at 300rpm.  Is completely stock.  I'm sure I paid too much but will not sell it for twice that.  Jim 

JAB53

Thanks for your responses. The asking price is $9,500, but I need to look the car over more carefully. Is it because it is a Plymouth that it is worth less than a Ford or Chevy of the same year? Would it be more valuable to keep is stock? What about the availablilty of parts?

mopardave

I paid $6500.00 for my 28 in 1987, but it needed an interior.  As far as keeping it stock, that is purely personal choice.  I have kept mine stock because that is my preference, but I have other collector cars to drive if I want to fast.  Mechanical parts do not seem too hard to come buy, but they aren't cheap.  Body parts are almost impossible.  Fortunately, I have been able to find everything that I have needed over the years.
All Plymouths: 1928 Q; 1951 P-23; 1966 Sport Fury Convertible; 1975 (Space) Duster; 1999 Prowler

Satillite70

There is a 28 Q on ebay motors right now, if you do a search for 1928 plymouth.  It's at about $4,000 right now.  Looks like a decent restoration. Blue in color, with trunk.

Chris