• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

brake light

Started by Rusty, September 06, 2010, 07:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

Back in the day, one tail light that was 6 volt was ok, but not by todays standards.  I had installed a new brake light switch and that has gone bad.  I have noticed that many other these pressure switches go bad frequently.  This the update that I did.
I got a mechanical brake light switch from a hot rod shop.  They are used all the time on hot rods and since may rods have the brake pedal thru the floor, it would work here.  It costs around 22 dollars and two holes are drilled thru the floor and mounted by the brake pedal.  Once the pedal travels about 1/2 inch , the switch works.  Took about a hour, not orginal but works well.
The next update is a 6 volt led third brake light.  It is about 3/4 inch high and about 12 inches long.  It has two suction cups that mount to rear window.  The photo shows up better with it mounted in the middle of the window.  The rear seat is removed and the wires are very easliy hidden and then routed thru the drain holes under the seat to the underside of the car.  It is then connected to the brake light.  It could be also used a turn signal as it is two seperate lights.  I have it so that both sides work at once.  Very well hiddened with no "damage" to the car during mounting.   It cost about 60 bucks.

I am still waiting on my rad to replaced so this was a simple project.
rusty

Rusty

chetbrz

Rusty,

Here is a thought.  I wired in two tail lights that are attached to wing nut brackets that attach to the rear bumper.  (no holes)  I used the park lights in the headlamp assembly as front flashers.   The rear lights plug into a 4 wire trailer plug hidden out of view by the gas tank.  At car shows I can loosen the wing nuts and remove the tail lights then reinstall for the drive home.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

Rusty

That also works well.  Anything to increase the brake lights is a good thing.   Did they ever come with two tail lights or just the one?  I currently do not have turn signals and that is this winter project.
rusty

chetbrz

Rusty,

Our cars only came with one tail light, basically a left over from the old carriage days.   The purists might have a problem with turn signals but if you drive your car a lot having actual signals is a good safe thing to have especially in a disk brake world.  I think most drivers today don't know hand singles other then the universal single finger signal.

My 1948 Plymouth did not come stock turn signals but here again I ran the appropriate wiring to facilitate this safety feature.  

It's a personal choice and if you are going to drive your car rather then trailer it, I would opt for the option.   But that's just me.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

p4jim

I'm pretty sure that Chevy brake light switches work in our cars.  I picked up an after market taillight bracket for my 30U so now have two rear lights.  Ebay has what looks like a 29 bracket for sale now. I installed two sealed beam fog lights for the front turn signals.  Problem is the flasher is not good enough for all the current when using the emergency flashing feature.  I may move the front signals to the parking lamps.  Also found out from our local rearend shop that the 140 lb tork  spec for the spindle nut is a one-time factory requirement.  Once done at the factory the next time the nut only needs to be tight. 

Thanks to everyone for all the help!!   jim