• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

hood latches

Started by chalten, May 28, 2011, 09:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chalten

Dear all,

finally my car seems to be going on the track. the mechanics, wood and structure is done. I am having a honeycomb radiator fitted to the correct specs, but it is taking forever. I wish I could have brought home one from the US... I am now looking at the details and need some help. I will post in different posts to avoid forgeting anything.

Can anyone post a photo of the correct hood latches model and the length? The ones on my car were all four different! Also if anyone knows of a source of good NOS I will apreciate the referral.

Best regards,
martin

chetbrz

Chalten,

Glad to hear that things are working well for you.  I will take a picture of my hood latches as far as original is concerned, I can't guarantee that these are original all I know is that they were on my car since I bought it and that they are old.

As far as door handles are concerned my exterior are not original but the interior may be.  They appear to be very old but here again I can't guarantee they are the original and your Phantom may take different hardware then the 29 4 door sedan.  You may want to pose this question on the POC board if you have not already done so.  Maybe even contact the 4 cylinder tech advisor.

Chet....
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

chetbrz

As I said in the previous post I have no idea if the following are origional

Window handle swivels are wood.

Good luck,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

SDGlenn

Chet, Your pictures of the Hood Latches and door handle are the same as I have on the 29 coupe. My guess they could very well be original. ( two for two) lol
Glenn
SDGlenn

Gary 30U

Your pictures match the hood locks (parts catalog reference) on my 30U.

According to the parts book this hood lock was used on Q, U, 30-U, and PA up tyo serial number 1627135. It lists a different number for PA after that number, and a diffferent number for PB.

With regard to the interior door handles and windo cranks. The ones pictured are often sold on eBay as for the early Plymouths, but they are not as original.

Picture below shows a door handle (broken) and the small handle for the windshield crank. These are the same as one two original 28 in our club and were originals on my 30-U. These are made of pot-metal and are very soft and break very easily. Reproductions in Stainless Steel are available from Verdone's Custom Stainless Casting, 31 Stricklerstown Loop Road, Newmanstown, PA 17073-9156. The last cost I have for the five handles for my coupe was $432.00 plus shipping, but they are available.

Just some info.

Gary

28Q29U

Quote from: Gary 30U on June 05, 2011, 10:59:17 PM
Your pictures match the hood locks (parts catalog reference) on my 30U.

According to the parts book this hood lock was used on Q, U, 30-U, and PA up tyo serial number 1627135. It lists a different number for PA after that number, and a diffferent number for PB.

With regard to the interior door handles and windo cranks. The ones pictured are often sold on eBay as for the early Plymouths, but they are not as original.

Picture below shows a door handle (broken) and the small handle for the windshield crank. These are the same as one two original 28 in our club and were originals on my 30-U. These are made of pot-metal and are very soft and break very easily. Reproductions in Stainless Steel are available from Verdone's Custom Stainless Casting, 31 Stricklerstown Loop Road, Newmanstown, PA 17073-9156. The last cost I have for the five handles for my coupe was $432.00 plus shipping, but they are available.

Just some info.

Gary

Thanks Gary,

I reposted this in the section Sources for hard to find parts.

Good info,  Chet...
Collect of Vehicular Lawn Ornaments.     http://1948plymouth.info

aussieQ

Hi Chelten,

For what it's worth my Q (aussie built) also has the same bonnet catchess as shown in the photo in Chetbrz post. Mine are all worn and rusted out and I have replaced them with A Model ford reproduction catches until I can find some of the original type. I also would be very interested in hearing of anyone who has original style NOS or good useable catches

Gary (aussieQ)

chalten

Thanks to everyone!!!

I am trying to source the latches locally. I am able to find these I will let you know.

best regards,
martin