• Welcome to 28Q29U Plymouth Forum.

News:

NEW FORUM version is here. 
If you are experiencing any problems, contact chetbrz@aol.com
WELCOME Auto Registration is turned OFF. 
In order to register for this forum please contact chetbrz@aol.com to request access.

Main Menu

rear brake backing plate / Wheel Brake Support and Adjusting Pin Assembly

Started by Des28Qau, October 13, 2013, 09:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Des28Qau

Hi all, Des from Melbourne Australia.
Thanks Garry (AussieQ)for introducing me to this site, it has given me many hours of interesting reading and reserch.
I have a 28 canadian RHD build sedan . I need information.
I have had many issues with the braking system on my car although it was stopping well.
The one thing I am not on top of yet is the rear brake mountng plate, as left and right have different plates.
One has a larger hole that goes around bearing ~69mm flat hole, and the other ~54mm ~2.1" rounded/rolled radus hole.
I do not know if the axle housing is original Q or other, I assume Q.
I assume the axle bearing should protrude the axle housing and the backing plate go around the bearing with seal assembly & other disc/ring drilled scacer plate be the retainer,
or shound the bearing be flush with diff housing and the smaller hole plate acts as a retainer.
Ply33.com  shows part 43694 for Q and some U then part 301473 for rest of U and 30U. (any body know the diference ?)
Ply33 only shows 1 seal/housing, However I have one at 15mm high & one at 18mm high (which has rubed on drum).
At this stage my plan is to mill out the smaller holed plate  to 69mm hole, and make up some new retaining plates to go behind the seal housings. If the small holed plate is correct I may be able to get hold of another small holed backing plate.
If I figure how to upload photos they will follow in the future.
To the Melbourne Australia members I hope to catch up with you all some day.
Thank-you Des.

Des

frankp

Hello Des,

Welcome to this site.  I'm sorry I can't help with your questions, but someone here will.  Good luck.

frank
frank p

chetbrz

Quote from: Des28Qau on October 13, 2013, 09:16:45 PM
Hi all, Des from Melbourne Australia.
The one thing I am not on top of yet is the rear brake mounting plate, as left and right have different plates.
One has a larger hole that goes around bearing ~69mm flat hole, and the other ~54mm ~2.1" rounded/rolled radus hole.
I do not know if the axle housing is original Q or other, I assume Q.

Thank-you Des.

Des,

Hi & Welcome,

It is hard to tell from the descriptions what exactly is going on.  They say one picture is worth a thousand words.  A picture of the brake mounting plates showing the current setup would be a good starting point.

There are two ways to post a picture.  If you have pictures on the web you can post a link to the pictures by using the "Picture Icon in the Post reply screen".  Or you can upload a picture to this site but I would suggest decreasing the size to about 250K each picture.  You can post up to 1 Meg per picture but not really necessary and will only take up disk space on the server.

Cheers,  Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member

aussieQ

Hi Des,

Glad you found the site. Look forward to seeing the pictures of your problem. If you want to come over to Berwick one weekend I'll pull the wheels off mine and you can check out the difference between it and yours.

Regards
Gary S

imoore

Hi Des
Welcome to the site. I to have a 28 Q. but tourer. And live just out from warragul, vic.
I unfortunately cant offer much help, as i cant get by back wheels off for photos etc. I used Garrys puller. My dad was in the process of making one. but due to a move and house reno it has been delayed a while.
We should organise a meet sometime.

Ian
1928 Q tourer (Holden bodied)
Several vintage stationary engine

Des28Qau

Thanks Guys,
I cant figure out how to get photos from my phone, So I have taken some on my kids camera set to low quality but still around 1 mb. See how we go.
Gary , your offer sounds too good to miss , I will call you .
This issue I believe is the car may have some other Chrysler products rear brake assembly on one side for some unknown reason. Can someone indentify the Q plate.
OK I discoverd if I prepair photo for email send it to myself save email attachment then choose that fileto attach .
See how this goes.
Thanks, Des.

Des

chetbrz

Des,

I don't know if this will help you but according to the Master Parts List I don't see a different part number from left to right side.  I do however see a different part number for model U after SN: RR-593-Y for US and after model U Canadian build after SN: GP-707-C.

The older Q & U was 43694 and for the newer U after the SN# change is 301470 this last number can be substituted with 301473 which includes the early built PA's

Point is in all cases the left rear plate and right rear plate is the same.  2 per car.

Chet...
http://www.1948Plymouth.info           Web Master - Forum Administrator - AACA member