General Category > General Discussion

Dave's 1929 U Resto project

(1/25) > >>

Crazydave:
Well the battle starts. The first thing I wanted to do with this car is try and get her running, see how it sounds and have any problems hopefully show themselves right away. Well I need a part or two. See below Pics.

Crazydave:
It looks like someone recently attempted to get this car going. There was a newer coil and jumper wire zip tied to the E brake handle in the car. So my guess is when they cranked it, the old distributor base was gunked up and crumbled.

This is interesting in a box of parts I got another distributor, base and timing lever. These are a perfect mirror image of what I need. As you can see from the picture, the gears on distributors drive opposite, and the drive on the base is offset opposite to the bolt holes of the other. (it would mount upside down)

When Frank was out we looked up the part number on the spare parts and believe them to be from a model Q. Delco Remy 630B Plymouth-Q and 635T Plymouth U. So I have an original Q base in good shape that I'm sure someone somewhere would love to have and I need a base for a U. I started trying to hunt down parts here locally at the older yards and have not had luck yet. So if someone knows or hears about one, let me know it would be most helpful. In the mean time, I am going to attempt to have a machinist friend of mine make one out of billet aluminum since I have a good base with the correct diameter measurements available.

I am aware that someone had made reproductions, and booked marked there info. Would like an original eventually. 

Crazydave:
This weekend I stopped back were I acquired the car and got the old owners info. So I will try and contact him soon and get the back story. It is suppose to be a one owner kept in the family since it was new. It would cool to know when it last ran etc. I'll update this thread as the story unravels and as I make progress. (maybe over the course of years lol)

chetbrz:
Hi Dave,

Replacing the distributor assembly with a remanufactured one is a good idea.  The original assembly crumbling I believe is pretty common.  It basically looks like pot metal.  Anyway, do you have a starter motor and does the engine crank over.  If it does.., a wet compression test can help you decide what your next steps might be for the engine.  Since the motor hasn't run for quite some time I would skip the dry compression test.  Don't worry too much about how much compression it pumps up the main thing is that it is reasonably consistent across all the cylinders.  The 1929 4 cylinder motor isn't exactly high compression.  40psi across all cylinders would be a real good runner.   At this point anything consistent would be OK so don't get hung up on a low compression reading.

For an old motor it would probably be best to drop the oil pan and pull the head and clean out as much goop as possible before you fire it up since you will have to wait for the distributor assembly.   If the motor spins free with the spark plugs out I would think that's a good sign.  Cylinder wear and edge ring might tell you how much life is left in the old motor.  Of course if it fired up that would be an even better indicator. 

Have fun,  Just my 2 cents

Chetů

SteveG:
Dave,
I don't have any parts to help you out but, I will really enjoy your followup posts. Much to learn!
Good luck,
SteveG

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version