General Category > General Discussion

Dave's 1929 U Resto project

<< < (13/25) > >>

Doug:
Your car looks great. My car was a Survivor like yours. The previous owner painted and upholstered it. I have pictures of it before. On your fuel pump, Someone had changed mine to a Stewart fuel feed. The last owner took it off in favor of an electric. I have changed it back. Stewart pumps show up on Ebay often. Your carburetor will like the gravity fuel feed better than electric. Keep up the good work.   

Crazydave:

--- Quote from: Doug on February 15, 2015, 02:24:17 PM ---Your car looks great. My car was a Survivor like yours. The previous owner painted and upholstered it. I have pictures of it before. On your fuel pump, Someone had changed mine to a Stewart fuel feed. The last owner took it off in favor of an electric. I have changed it back. Stewart pumps show up on Ebay often. Your carburetor will like the gravity fuel feed better than electric. Keep up the good work.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, Doug. 

How does the car run different between the 2 fuel systems? I had some concern about pushing fuel to a gravity feed carb, thought it may push through the needle and seat. I was thinking of a way to plumb in a bypass and/or limit the flow with a needle valve (its internally regulated) to try and find the right pressure. (I know get a low pressure regulator) I tried it just the way it came and haven't had any troubles. I mounted it in the passenger side frame rail, near the outlet of the tank with a filter on the inlet. I will post the description from the ebay ad below. Any thoughts on other converted cars about what the proper pressure is or negative effects of running an electric pump? It is 6 volt.

"This In-line electric fuel pumps provide the needed amount of fuel whenever the engine demands it. This pump has a shut off pressure of 2.5 to 4 PSI at no flow conditions and will deliver 40 GPH at wide open. Comes with 1/8" pipe fittings, and 2 nipples to connect the common 5/16 gas hose. Can be used on positive ground systems, as there is separate connections for both positive and negative."

racertb:
Where'd all the distributor drive photos go?

racertb:
^^^Disregard, they're on the other thread :)

Doug:
Don't get me wrong here. Didn't say it would run better, Just that the carb would like it. Gravity feed is a constant smooth flow, Electric with a regulator will pulse. Carb is much easier to tune with gravity. I know a lot of guys go electric and make it work, I like the vacuum Tank. When you get it working there is no maintenance, no electric draw, just drive. My thoughts.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version